Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cannon plug for engine wiring.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Law, Apr 8, 2010.

1. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Im looking for some ideas or a point in the right direction. I want to build an engine wiring harness that plugs into a plug that will be mounted on the fire-wall. The idea is, wire harness to the motor, place motor in car, plug in harness and all the wiring to the engine will be finished.

I'm thinking somewhere between 5 and 10 pin, just in case I want to wire in other things later.

I would like to use a cannon plug. I remember seeing them on aircraft when I was in the service and thought they would be perfect for this.

I cant seem to find one that has mounting tabs so that I can bolt the female half to the fire-wall. Any direction would be appreciated!

Rob

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Yup just like those! Care to help me wade through all that crap and figure out how to purchase stuff from these guys. I cant seem to figure out where I can buy two matching halfs...

Everywhere wants a quote, like im building a freeking C5 or something...

4. mosimpson

mosimpson

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have most often snagged them from eBay, using "amphenol connector" and "amphenol connector military" as search terms.

They do seem hard to purchase new, in lots under 5000.

Or Newark, as mentioned above.

6. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

7. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even better. Not sure why I never thought to look there....

9. caddydave

caddydave

You can buy small quantities of the amphenol connectors and terminal parts from Allied Electronics. http://www.alliedelec.com/search/searchresults.aspx?Ntt=amphenol&N=0&No=60&Ntk=Primary

Here's an Amphenol aerospace catalog,
    http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/2010_Amphenol_Circular.pdf
    you have to wade through the catalog to find the part numbers required for the Allied website. Not all part numbers will be on the website. If you need something not on the website the local sales office has always been very helpful even for a small order..

The most difficult part is figuring out what you need, there's literally thousands of options and different configurations possible. In the past I've bought surplus connector bodies and parts and then purchased new terminals from Allied electronics to adapt them into a new harness.

Amphenol also has a good selection of connector bodies with an integral flange to allow you to use them as a bulkhead fitting on a firewall...

Good Luck, Dave

10. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

11. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Great info! Thanks, Dave.

Has anyone done this before? Pictures?

12. guys what kind of voltages and ampres are you talking about? i have cannon plugs (35 pin) on the machines i service and they are a nice setup but make sure you order the correct one and i can say they aren't cheap. i would check with military surplus suppliers as you will find them to be plentifull.

13. 57FORD

57FORD

alot of the 90's chevy cars and trucks had fender plugs. go to a U pull it yard and get one with all the harness you want. just tape up or off the ones you dont need.

14. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Hrmm well, in the loom will be a signal wires for oil pressure and water temp. Two for the Pertronix drop in, coil wires (- and +), and I think thats it...

There are a few plugs I am looking at that have certain pins in the plug that carry more amps than the other pins... Any idea what wires would have the most load? my guess would be the ones running from the coil...

Rob

(edit) Looks like these plugs I am looking at are rated at 13 amps. will they work for the pos and neg for coil?

15. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Thats an option. Do hey have a way to mount? Im not familiar with these...

16. caddydave

caddydave

We used a Amphenol vacuum sealed bulkhead connector on my dad's intake manifold where we have wires running into the plenum for the injectors.

Amphenol makes inserts that will handle larger terminals and currents. You could create a connector system to handle 8 16-18 ga wire and 2 12-14ga wires.

We have used these connectors quite a bit at work when restoring WW2 vintage U.S. armor. A Sherman tank uses large Amphenol connectors to connect the dash to the vehicle harness. They also used this style of connector for the magneto grounds, fuel shut-off solenoids and water temperature sensors on the engine.

It will take some time to figure out the catalog and figure out what you need, but when done it's really a slick way to go... DAVE

17. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Wow those military ones bring back memories. One warning nice if they work but a big pain in the ass to fix. To do it properly one has to solder the pins onto your wires install the pins in the plugs then fill the back of the plugs with potting material (like semi liquid silicone that drys semi hard like rubber). The problem comes when you have to dig out the potting material to replace a pin or a broke wire not fun.

I can remember hanging upside down for HOURS tracing then replacing one pin in the back seat of a F-4 Phantom military jet because the end is down by the floor and being upside down is the only way to get at it. Had to have every swingsdick in our crew take turns at it because you could only spend so much time upside down before you passed out.

Be sure to know what gauge wires you will be using and make sure the largest size will fit in the pins on the plug you get.

18. another nice feature of these plugs is if you have multiple ones you can "clock" them so you can't plug in the wrong wire bundle. don't take the claim of "waterproof" to the bank or you will be sadly disapointed.

19. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

that is one way of doing them, they also have some that have crimped wires that don't need to be filled with anything.
    if you know anyone that works in aviation get with 'em and see if they can get you what you need. they could also help you figure out what it is you need for what you want. they may even be willing to help you get the proper tools for crimping the wires or whatever else you need.

20. spooler41

spooler41

Law, you might check with a local avonics shop, I spent about 15 years in the business, and always had access to used or surplus connectors.

Good luck ................Jack

21. Bert

Bert

Got mine from CIGWELD.....aussie version of Thermadyne......they have plugs to wire a mig wire feeder{traveller} to the main powersupply unit....try the bigger 350/400 amp models....get them to look up the wire feeder plug part number then the power supply part number and your done....2 seperate parts......not available together though.....try some of the larger tig machines too....................Bert

22. Griffinwerks

Griffinwerks
    from Ma

I've sourced them from Mouser electronics. They also have a guide for "building" a part number so you get the right part. And they are available as singles. Jim

23. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

a bunch of great info. Thanks guys. Would love to see some pictures of anyone running this style plug on their car.

24. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

We have them in our Keep it clean line. you can pm me for details

25. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr

''I can remember hanging upside down for HOURS tracing then replacing one pin in the back seat of a F-4 Phantom military jet because the end is down by the floor and being upside down is the only way to get at it. Had to have every swingsdick in our crew take turns at it because you could only spend so much time upside down before you passed out''.

Don't forget that in the F-4 the wires were usually soaked with hydraulic fluid or coolenol. We'd use liquid freon to degrease everything beforehand.

26. Have a friend doing a high end 34 Sedan. He has had it wired throughout with Deutsch electrical connectors and braided shielding on bundles going outside the car. Most are routed through the frame of the car. Too high tech for me beside I spent too many years in the USAF and subsequent jobs playing with those things.

27. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Why not.

If people always asked why.... we would never get very far.

28. cullen

cullen
    from palmdale

you can get them complete on ebay for less than $20
    just type in "military connector" in the search

whats cool is that these are aluminum so you can anodize them any color you want.

29. Heck most GM cars from the late 60s on use a modular harness that bolts together through the firewall, some the fuse block is on the back of it. Not as trick, but dirt cheap.