Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Cannon Ball Run - Hot Rods Only!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Jul 6, 2009.

1. RAY With

RAY With

This would be like a bracket race to a heads up guy. I would rather watch grass grow. Who needs odometers ,check points-Its run all out balls to the wall type thing.

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

nope, Brock aint dead... no fuckin clue where they got the idea he is

again, NOT the point... if your car cant make it across the country, dont enter it. what you propose isnt even CLOSE to a cannonball run style race

FWIW, i'd be in. 100%

3. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

as they say around here... I ain't scared! :D:p

stop trying to change it, it is what it is, and you're looking at a max of about 30 cars or so before it gets a little out of control.

5. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

Lets get juiced up and go!!!!!!:D

[​IMG]

6. Hmmmmm, I'm adding the supercharger to the flathead this winter, I can put the 3.55 rear gears back in... are we talking a spring or fall event?

Yep, I think I can make it...

Since it's pre-64, what are y'all's view on radar detectors and GPS?

7. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I'd like to see this get up and going I'm in.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

There won't even be a dozen that will show up in NYC when the time comes. ;)

Here's who I see as having the gutts, and cars, to do it. The Cinci boys, Some of the UT fellows, the Rolling Bones, (no backup trailers allowed), the Indy boys, the So-What crew, an Omaha boy or two, a couple of the TX crew, BenD, WhiskeyRunner, BobK, Big Olds and Beatnik as a surprise. I've probably missed a few but can't think of anyone else right now off the top of my head. 30 people, no way in hell the first few years.

9. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Well, You brought it up. :cool:
    Seriously, Will your car make it coast to coast without anything more than a pit stop?

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

A must:D

11. Brock Yates is very much alive.

NO GPS!!! Do you really want Mister Law to be able to use YOUR GPS information as evidence in court? Thought not. Learn to read a map, like the old days! Non-GPS cellphones, yeah. Radar detectors, sure.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's about right though...

Where do you plan on finding a Non-GPS cellphone?

13. NoSurf

NoSurf

ebay.

[​IMG]

14. monsterflake

monsterflake

learn to re-set your trip info quickly...

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The carriers are forbidden by law to turn on a Non-GPS phone on. If you have it and it's still on, hurrah.

16. NoSurf

NoSurf

17. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

feel free to use any GPS or radar detector manufactured before 1965

sheesh....you the same guy that goes camping with a generator so you don't miss American Idol?

Makes you wonder how the first Cannonball Rally was a success without gadgetry to tell you where you are at all times. Roll up your flippin' sleeves, grab a few maps, go ahead a make some plans ahead of time, but for cripe's sake....keep it in the spirit of the original...you, your buddy/copilot/navigator...about a gallon of coffee in a good Thermos® and HIT the road. If you need satellites to tell you where you are, stay home, NANCY. Use a little deduced reckoning...it's how we pilots figure out where we are and where we're supposed to be when pretty much all else fails.

Enough haggling over equipment and regulations....push the go pedal.

Denise, you don't know me...and I'm not on your 'short list', but I assure you, I'm a worthy and capable adversary...in many venues...and I just LOVE 'banzai runs'.

dj

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

My truck probably wouldn't make it out of the state, let along all the way across the country.

And wouldn't need any stinking GPS if it could. I'd just take route 50 all the way straight across from here to there. That way I would never get lost. Probably take me about a month.

19. Don't get your traditional panties in a bind, it was a joke...:D

And I do use a generator when camping, how else can I have my vente, double shot, cafe latte in the morning...

20. QUOTE=wingspread7;4090027]With our lack of safety standards or equipment the odds would be that something awful would happen and then the hammer would come down on us all.

ZZZZZZZ
    QUOTE=missysdad1;4090099]A cross-country timed rally would still have all the fun but without the need for excess speed. Checkpoints are set up and drivers are penalized for being early as well as late!
    Accurate clocks and odometers are the main gear, along with a good set of maps and a good attitude between driver and navigator.[

I've done it a couple of times and it's a hoot!

No need to tarnish our sport with crazy behavior to have fun

ZZZZZZZZZ.. wake me when the guys come back in the room...

Rule Number 1, Don't come in 2nd.
    Rule Number 2. See rule no. 1
    No more rules..

.wingspread7, missysdad1, ... just kidding :D... no really.;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am not trying to change it, just thinking out aloud as I had thought folks may have come back at me with thoughts on how a run would be better tailored to hot rods and I guess what I was really thinking was flatheads in particular.
    However full on run is fine by me.

Looking back at it, I was just trying to be too politcally correct which is a bad habit that I can not seem to shake off these days.

22. Kustm52

Kustm52

Hey Denise, you missed one....:D

Brian

23. Ive always wanted to do a cannon ball run, I know my cars would make it, Ive driven from Edmonton to Bakersfield in old cars many times (1700 miles, fastest time 36 hours by myself, no co-pilot in a 61 Ford F-100) Too bad I don't have the gas money to drive from Edmonton to NY, then to LA, then back to Edmonton...
    As for the rules, no backup trailers, first one there wins!

24. ratster

ratster

is your car tradtional?

25. ratster

ratster

she missed 2, i've logged a mile or two on my roadster. even been cross country a time or two lol

26. racer67x

racer67x

27. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I don't have a vehicle that qualifies ('62 C10), but if I did, I'd be down for it. Here's an idea to make it more competitive if you wanted to...The first place guy gets the last place guy's car.

Our club has been talking about a poker run around Austin. Maybe it'll happen come spring.

28. Danny Boy vs Nancy Boy

Attached Files:

29. I'll see your 43 hours and raise you 38 hours! :D:D:D

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yeah, I knew I'd miss a few.
    I'd also add, PhatRat, CharlieChops and Enjenjo from these parts and Aminal Ain from Vegas, Roger AKA 40Studedude and Dan Jetter from ColoRODo, and DRD57 from CA although with his new shop he might not have the time.

As much as anyone who's going to be participating

Guess I'll see you in NYC then won't I.;)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009