Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Canned Heat, a hot rod 1933 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Jan 21, 2012.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

So, back in 1984 or so, my dad bought a hot rod out of Maine. It was a 1933 Plymouth called 'Canned Heat.' I know that's true because it said so on the trunk in chrome decal and One Shot...

Anyway, it had a 327 and a Muncie 4spd. and a Chevy rear end. The thing was so raw and fast. I loved riding in it. I remember going for a ride with my dad on New Year's Day in 1985, I think, when it got up to about 60*, and we tooled around town and stopped in on a friend of his. When we were leaving, my dad hit a railroad sign as he backed out. The right front fender got dinged up pretty bad, and I remember him being so pissed off. hahaha. When we got home, he parked it. Come spring, he started tearing it down, and sent the body off to Dave Simard's for body work. Eventually, my dad found his holy grail, a '34 Ford 3w coupe. The Plymouth got sold, and I think went off to Pennsylvania. Not sure what ever came of it.

I just found a few blurry Polaroids of the car, and I took a picture of them and tried to clean them up digitally as best I could to post them here. So anyway, here is 'Canned Heat'...

[​IMG]

this is a 15 year old me in the summer of 1984:

[​IMG]

and my dad behind the wheel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nice

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

did you know my dad then, John? do you remember the car?

4. i think i got to know your dad in the later 80's or early 90's when i told him i bought a 33 plymouth his eye's lit up and he told me about his

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

hmm. i wish he had just kept it the way it was and maybe freshened it up some. but, you know, he wasn't like that. all or nothing...

6. Whoa! Gator's 33 was yellow under the resale red respray....came from another HAMBer in IN I think..? What are the chances.......:confused: Those cars aren't exactly common......

7. Gator

Gator

Hmmm, I also uncovered patches in the rear fenders that looked like it had round tail lights installed in the rear fenders, like in your pics...

Here's the Plymouth last summer:

[​IMG]

And the bright yellow that was under the red;

[​IMG]

Here's my thread on it:

33 Plymouth build

Actually I got it from another Hamber in Ohio, but who knows where it came from prior to that.

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Oh man, how cool would that be if it's the same car!?

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i've been watching your thread, gator, and have wondered if it could be the same. but i thought the chances too remote. i dunno.

i thought maybe it wasn't because the body work simard did was sooo nice. but i dont think he ever got to the fenders. and you never know what other people might do to a car once they get a hold of it.

dang, it would be super cool if it was the same car. i might have to buy it when you're done with it...