Register now to get rid of these ads!

Candy paint question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRAVEZ, Jul 5, 2006.

1. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

so i was wondering about how long a candy paint job lasts? i have had friends in the past that have painted their cars and their paint, especially the bright candies seem to fade like the lime golds, and aztec golds. is it true the darker colors last longer? i live in the desert so the UV here is crazy! i would love to paint my car a bright gold candy but i'm leary about it lasting. any comments or suggestions?

_T

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The synthetic materials are what fades, like what ever is used as flake or pearl. Gold may indeed fade fast since it uses some yellow (a very dense tint) to get color. Darker better? Not in my experiance. If it's well maintained, not too abused in the sun, you may not notice the fade too much for a long time. I've seen pearls fade way faster than candies.

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The newer candy paints from House of Color I think are similar to a basecoat/clearcoat system and hold up alot better than 'traditional' candies.

4. The New Urethane Paints Of Today Are Far Superior To All The Synthetic And Lacquer Based Paints Of The Past. Reds Always Had The Greatest Amount Of Fade Over Time But Since The Addition Of Basecoat/clearcoat Finishes This Situtation Has Been Minimized. If Your Going To Refinish Wether Candy ,pearl Or Other Colors Always Use One Manufacturors Brand From Start To Finish. Do Not Intermix Any Hardeners, Primers , Sealers, Bases Or Clears From Other Companies To Save A Dollar Or Two. You Will Pay The Price In A Shortened Paint Lifetime. Follow The Instructions To A "t" . If The Ratio Is 4-2-1 . Measure It Out Exactly. Do Not Bartend Your Paint. Strip The Car To Bare Metal . Metal Prep All Bare Metal And Apply An Epoxy Zinc Based Primer Before Any Primer Surfacer Is Applied.
    I've Been Painting Cars For Over 36 Years And Every Problem That I Have Had Brought To Me To Correct Has Had Some Form Of This Intermixing Of Brands Or Missed Procedural Steps. I Know The Desert States Eat Paint From The Uv Rays Of The Sun. But With Proper Application And Maintainance . I Believe That You Will Be Pleased With The Outcome Of The Candy Or Pearl You Select.

Larry

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Isn't it a strain to type in initial caps on all the words...???

It's been my experience that dark colors are the first to "fade"...like anything else, light colors reflect heat, dark colors absorb. Put your hand on a blak car on a hot sunny day and you'll see what I mean.

R-

6. TLMEditor

TLMEditor

Some people also try to save a buck and use the concentrate. Not what HOK intended those candies to be used for. Read the tech papers. They will tell you what colors tend to bleed or fade. For intance the bleeding of the kandy purple or how Kandy Pink will fade in the sun. Certain colors should be used as directed and used appropriately. The next issue is what are you trying to accomplish? show? street? daily? Im a picky person, I'd hate trying to keep touching up a kandy over and over if it was on a daily or street car.

7. ham-boned-ford

ham-boned-ford

It's all about the clearcoat. The clear is where the uv protection comes from. pick a brand, stay within the brands products and by all means pay for there best clear they offer. Do not skimp on this part, if a shop is doing it for you make sure they are using the best clear possible (a lot of shops buy good base and cheap clear to save money) dont let this happen tell them you want to see the clear they use. A good clear will last 10 years in the sun with minimal care, while a cheap clear will last 1-3 years. Cost is like $100-120 for cheap clear to $250-300 a gallon for the best clears.

8. hamb-boned is right!! insist on a high quality clear. and stay away from dupont!!! I would go with PPG or some high quality german paints Like spies hecker or maybe even Sikins. These are exspensive products but well worth it. Also make sure your primer is done shinking and sealed off!!

9. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

thanks for the insight guys i appreciate it! i'm going to start doing research on HOK paints.

_T

10. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

I got some HOK candy while back.

Here is a list of vendors and prices for comparison.

http://50chevy.com/paint.html

Hope that helps

11. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

killer, thanks man for the list hook up!

_T

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I got my paint for the 61 from Smart shoppers. Great service, and the best prices I've seen. They are great guys. They even told me it would be more economical to buy the reducer from local suppliers, due to shipping costs (toxic materials charges included).
    Imagine that, telling you NOT to buy a product from them!

13. oddbald

oddbald
    from NH

I prefer DUPONT over PPG any day of the week..... What qualifies me in saying this? I am a Professional painter of 26+ years who has used just about every brand out there and can say Dupont has Some of the best clears going in todays refinish market. Use any clear in the Premier Label and you won't be dissapointed.

14. AaronP

AaronP
    from Hooker, OK

Hey, PM me if you need any help with this. Definately use the best clear you can. When you decide on what you are going to do, let me know and I will see what I can get some HoK or Sikkens for ($$$$). I might be able to save you some dough. I think Mando Montoya still works at Paint Specialty on S. Valley. Give him a call, tell him I sent you, and find out what brands they carry.

15. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

yeah aaron i think he does. i have paint for my car already but i think i'm going to try to paint it a candy color. maybe an aztec gold.

_T

16. brandon

brandon

duponts hot hues has a nice candy yellow / gold ...might be worth a look ....brandon

17. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

thanks for the lead brandon. the paint shop i'm going to go to actually carries HOK and Hot Hues too! added bonus!!

_T

18. djmartins

djmartins

Larry is dead on in everything he wrote.
    Do as he says and you'll be fine

regards.
    Doug