Register now to get rid of these ads!

Canadian Vega Steering Boxes -- Source???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeepSouthRick, Apr 26, 2007.

1. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

I've heard that Canadian-built Vega steering boxes are very reliable -- but does anyone know who's selling them these days?

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

pm me for a hamb price.

3. McKee

McKee

How can you tell if it's a Canuck box?

4. Are you comparing old OEM Vega boxes to the
    new,price driven,streetrod aftermarket boxes ?

Ever notice how the price on "new" Vega boxes
    on Ebay has been dropping lately ?

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The ones I buy have a metal tag on them that says Made In Canada!

6. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

:confused: :confused: It seems that most of the "VEGA" boxes we get from US street rod suppliers (shipped to Canada!) have the "Made in Canada" tag on them. I have been led to believe they a man'd in Ontario.

7. McKee

McKee

How are the Canadian boxes better?

8. There was another thread on this i read the other day. It said a bear(?) cast on one end, and a something else cast on the bottom, and another bird or animal cast on the front. Sure sounded like a lot of evidence. Here, i don't know if it's bullshit, but this is it.

The Canadian boxes have a beaver stamped on the front, a maple leaf stamped on the top, and a frog embossed on the underside

9. tinmann

tinmann

They were assembled by Canadians, who know what beer should really taste like...... yes, that's right..... Canadian.... a real beer. It gives factory workers focus and a reason to live. The "Made in Canada" Vega boxes were assembled with love.... by drunks.

10. tinmann

tinmann

.... I've got a Vega box out in my shop I'm heading out there right now to look for frogs, bears, moose or beaver.... and to see if there's a Canadian in the fridge. Pictures at 11:00.

11. tinmann

tinmann

I didn't see a single, bear, moose, bear, frog or beaver. The casting number on the box is 7808990. The casting number on the aluminum plate is 7809203. There was no "Made in Canada" tag any where to be found. The Canadian was cold.

12. McKee

McKee

...and filled with maple syrup?

13. I think they mean better assembly(no leaks,no free play)than the one's assembled in Mexico.:cool:

14. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Not sure if this is a Canadian difference; - IMPROVEMENT
    - but ALL of the US Vega steering boxes that I have played with, have a bronze bushing for the steering sector shaft - that connects to the pitman arm.

The three Canadian boxes I have; use "caged needle bearings" instead of the bronze bushing. Unless this was an upgrade somewhere along the way.

As far as the "special" markings; mine are the same as the numbers "tin" lists.

And before anyone asks; NO - the extra two are NOT available.
    (sorry, spoken for)