Register now to get rid of these ads!

Canadian hot rod found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by selohssa, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Looking good. Good to know about the odometer. I'm going to zero mine out too. Hope it doesn't break!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. selohssa

selohssa

Honestly it was completely my fault. The odometer wasn't meant to come apart so I set it up in a drill to spin it backwards. It all went fine until I got impatient, sped up the drill and heated the plastic to a point that it broke. If you take your time (like an hour while your watching tv), you will be fine.

Asphalt Angel likes this.
  3. selohssa

selohssa

So, the old 14" ETs are growing on me. I decided to see what they would look like freshened up and with the spokes gold. HMMMM, decisions.

IMG_3951.JPG IMG_3952.JPG

4. selohssa

selohssa

Anyone who has ever fixed up an old truck knows the satisfaction of seeing this piece in its final primer coat.
    IMG_3948.JPG IMG_3947.JPG

5. selohssa

selohssa

Although the body is just in the poly primer right now, I am still happy that there has been some headway. I did box line the hidden compartment under the box floor for sound deadening but I do not want it in the box area. I will live with what ever scratches appear.
    IMG_3933.JPG IMG_3936.JPG IMG_3937.JPG IMG_3938.JPG IMG_3939.JPG

6. selohssa

selohssa

I have decided that the firewall and inner fenders will be the pearl white. I will do the engine in the same blue metal flake as the side inserts.
    IMG_3957.JPG
    The doors and hood are now in final prime. I like the epoxy for the fact that it is a little glossy when it dries. It makes it so much easier to see how straight the panels are.
    IMG_3958.JPG IMG_3962.JPG

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Very nice shop and spray booth and all that.
    Are you a body man ?
    I'd be interested in where your shop is and all that if you'd care to PM me.
    Maybe I could stop in to see your project in person and talk local history.
    I like what is happening to the old girl.
    Larry.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    koolkemp and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Wow, You're hauling ass! Top notch work.

9. selohssa

selohssa

Thanks. I am working on it when ever I get a chance. I know that I will not be able to do much over the summer, so I am trying to get as much done now as I can.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. selohssa

selohssa

I have been working on a box cover for the last little while. It would be nice to have the storage area protected but I don't know how I feel about the look yet. After it is all fitted, I may just toss the cover beside my garage. If it turns out that I need it, I will have it ready to go. It could either get painted black or covered with white vinyl for a more traditional look. I am only into this experiment for $30.

What do you all think? run with it or cut it up and throw it in the dumpster?

IMG_4089.JPG IMG_4092.JPG IMG_4151.JPG IMG_4152.JPG IMG_4153.JPG IMG_4148.JPG

11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I like it. Make it removable, then you can run with or without it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen

X2

13. OahuEli likes this.
  14. selohssa

selohssa

The Ranchero has some paint on the exterior! Yippee!
    I have not started the filler work on the fenders or tailgate yet but it still feels like some real progress.

IMG_4680.PNG
    I am happy with how straight the roof is. All that block sanding is starting to pay off. It will look even better after it is buffed out (although that wont be for a while).
    IMG_4678.JPG
    I am going to feel bad the first few times that I put stuff in the box. I have been teased that I need to 3M stone guard the entire box.
    IMG_4671.JPG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I like these wheels, hope you decide to use them. Attached is an old photoshop project adjusted to show your fenderwell mods. Not to scale but close I think. photoshop for selohssa.jpg

mgtstumpy and selohssa like this.
  16. Very nice! Good work. That box is a work of art!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Great looking car. Keep posting. Now I don't mean to be judgemental but black? Everyone seems to have black or red cars. Are you planning any high lights? I like the colour in your avatar. But it is your car so enjoy.

18. selohssa

selohssa

Thanks for that photo.
    I may end up using different wheels depending on my mood. I have four sets to choose from and each set would give a very different look.

19. selohssa

selohssa

Yeah, I know. Black is everywhere.
    I was thinking about a nice medium blue pearl but I have kids and am expecting bumps and bruises. I want it to be easy to repair and black is great for blends.
    I will be doing a blue metalflake strip where the gold anodized trim used to be. I am also going to redo the blue window tint that was on it when I pulled it out of the boxcar.

20. selohssa

selohssa

This is the color that will be going in the area where the gold trim was and will also be on the engine itself.
    It is a Toyota color (8E5). I wanted to stick to a Ford color but this one suited the flake perfectly. I thought that my old cooler would be a good test candidate for the color. There wont really be any areas where the pearl white is touching the blue, so the cooler will get a black pinstripe to separate the two colors.
    IMG_4849.JPG IMG_4850.JPG IMG_4852.JPG

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and mgtstumpy like this.
  21. wow that blue and white looks fantastic!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. El Caballo

El Caballo

I foresee a black dash cover in your future. That dash is brilliant, in more ways than one, when you are driving during the day the sunlight may well reflect the white up on your windshield, blotting your vision some. I hope not, but there it is. Great Ranchero, really.

23. Sounds like a great plan. I like where this is headed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. selohssa

selohssa

Yeah, you may very well be right. I want to at least give it a shot though.

George G likes this.
  25. selohssa

selohssa

Progress has slowed a lot on this car but at least some things are still happening.
    The body has been primed for the final time and is almost ready for paint.
    IMG_6732.JPG IMG_6739.JPG IMG_6743.JPG
    The underside got epoxied, frame masked off, box liner applied to the underside of the body, unmasked, and then sealed, based and cleared. My body was stiff on Saturday after this was done but I was SORE on Sunday. That was a crazy full day of work!
    IMG_6803.JPG IMG_6807.JPG IMG_6809.JPG IMG_6819.JPG IMG_6835.JPG IMG_6837.JPG IMG_6846.JPG
    The engine is now painted as well. It is the same metalflake as on that cooler from a few posts ago. I have decided that I will also metalflake the underside of the tonneau cover. I will use that area to put vintage speed decals on.
    IMG_6871.JPG

26. No short cuts here! That is one tedious masking job. Great work!

27. selohssa

selohssa

Thanks. I cant take credit for that masking. I asked for help while I was working on the engine and when I came back, that was the result. I was blown away.
    It took me 3 hours just to unmask all of that on Sunday.

Bondo Slinger likes this.
  28. partssaloon

partssaloon

Looks great! Out of curiosity, with the sound system you have way didn't you fill in the speaker opening on the top of the dash? You did beautiful work on the rest.

29. selohssa

selohssa

I have a thought of doing a pop up navigation unit or a small storage compartment there. I have not decided yet.