Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you tell me what this is

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crazyfoci, Sep 21, 2006.

1. crazyfoci

crazyfoci

These are pictures of what I was told was a Stude flathead six that is in my Willys Pu. Problem is I dont know the vintage or even if it is a Stude
    Any help would appreciated

Attached Files:

2. rizzorace

rizzorace

i believe that is a continental? engine.

3. crazyfoci

crazyfoci

:( I will show my ignorance. Is continental what it was called? or what it came out of.:confused:

4. young buck

young buck

judging by the wire loom and the oil tube it is a stude....i have the same one in my 50 commander...it was 102 hp and a shit load of torque.....these motors are great drivers getting about 28 mpg at 65mph

5. crazyfoci

crazyfoci

Wow thanks alot I had no idea. You wouldnt happen to know where I could get parts for it would you. I really dont know much about flatheads have spent to much time around dohc engines I guess

6. young buck

young buck

i have 2 spare motors that are mostly disassembled if you need anything get ahold of me.....try and run the numbers so you are sure what year it is......i am young so my knowledge is develping

7. crazyfoci

crazyfoci

Where can I look up the numbers?

8. Ruiner

Ruiner

sweet man, stude motors are rulers...you got that at your place in st paul? I'll have to swing by one of these days and check out your shop for kicks, Lance and I are always bored as hell sitting around his place with nothing to do on the days I crash in the cities at his place...

what parts are you looking for? like rebuild parts? try www.egge.com for pistons and rebuild parts and such...

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

PS, I've got a flathead plymouth fan that should fit if yours is bent...I wonder if anything from the flathead mopars swaps over...that'd be interesting...I also got a 6 volt generator I prolly won't use...

10. Frank

Frank

Was there ever any speed parts for these? Are they similar to anything else?

I have a senior friend of mine has a fresh rebuilt one sitting on a workbench ready to go in a 49 Land Cruiser (?). I was going to try and find him a trans for it.

11. jetmek

jetmek

for champion speed stuff try bill cathcart in ct. new al heads,intakes ign etc....860-564-5852

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Contenental made engine blocks for a bunch of different manufacturers some include early American Motors,Stude and heavy equiptment like pavement rollers and farm tractors my 1960 Massey Fergusson tractor had a z134 Continental 4 cylinder my dad had a 12 ton pavement roller with a Continental flat four wich we replaced with a Rambler 6 I don't know everything they supplied engines for but the list is quit big [/quote]

13. jetmek

jetmek

continental "red seal" engines. they make (made?) industrial and aircraft engines...

14. crazyfoci

crazyfoci

Thank you all very much this has been a Big help

15. crazyfoci

crazyfoci

I still cant match my numbers to anything I can find in the stude forums and the local librarys are no help maybe someone can read these for me
    Top of head 526989
    2 D>N

D 1 13

D.s of block inbetween w/p and oil fill tube
    either bIIb649 or 6II649

Lower section of block near oilpan D.S
    524807-3

Also noticed intake and exhaust are the same assembly with only one exhaust port which is in the center
    Thanks for anyhelp I can get

16. Ruiner

Ruiner

are you positive this isn't a plymouth or dodge flathead? there are a lot of similarities to the 50's mopar flathead there...

17. farna

farna

Continnental still makes industrial and aircraft engines. They used to make auto engines through the 50s. In the 50s Continental was part of the Kaiser empire, so the engines were used in Kaiser-Frazer and Willys/Jeep vehicles.

AMC NEVER used continental engines. AMC made their own engines. They didn't make the electrical parts or carbs, but an AMC engine with an Auto-Lite carb, starter, distributor, and alternator is still an AMC engine!!

The flathead six used by AMC started out as a 1940 Nash design. You might count the 71-72 four cylinder F-head used in Jeeps made by AMC an AMC use. It was only used until supplies were used up and the AMC six was adapted to the CJ.

18. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I may have AMC/Rambler mixed up as to the manufacturer at the time but. my father definiatly took a flathead six out of a 1960ish rambler and installed it into a 12 ton pavement roller that had a continental 4 in it in the first place the rambler 6 bolted right up to the trans in the roller without any reworking or adapters.I was told this was because the flathead six was a continental block casting

19. f6fhellcat00

f6fhellcat00

The egine you are showing me is A Studebaker champion engine 170 or 185. Yes you can get all kinds of performance parts call bill cathcart give him the #s he will tell you year and displacment.