Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you make a ZZ4 engine look traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by selohssa, Oct 2, 2010.

1. selohssa

selohssa

I just ended up with a ZZ4 chevy engine for DIRT CHEAP. I am building a 30 model A rpu and I already installed a mild 350 with a th400. I have a pile of vintage parts to dress that engine up but I sure am impressed with the performance of the ZZ4.

My question is, can I make that engine look decent in a 60's style build without loosing any performance? If so, what parts do you reccomend?

2. selohssa

selohssa

34dmotorzz4.jpg

I just stole this pic from the classifieds. What valve covers are these?

3. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Possibly Moon but I cant tell on my phone. There are a number of things you can do. The easiest way is to adapt the centerbolt covers to perimeter covers. There are a few people makinga adapters. The intake is the same as earlier SBCs. Kill the HEI and you are there!

4. chevyshack

chevyshack

I was going to say use that style of finned valve covers. Everyone has thier spin on them. Holley, edelbrock. They sell adapters to use on the newer heads. You might even be able to find some triple carbs for it from edelbrock.

5. selohssa

selohssa

I have an old c4b single quad intake or a c26 dual quad. Will they work on this engine? Could I use those intakes with the small HEI that is on the engine? It has a GM performance tbi on it right now. Will the pulley brackets from an older engine work to replace the serpintine system that is on it now? Can I bolt up rams horns to these heads?

6. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

they are mooneyes "no name" valve covers. they are specifically designed for late model smallblocks. my dad has 'em on the ZZ4 in his 56 bel-air

7. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

Man, I am in the same boat. I have a badass ZZ4 but am not happy with the look of it placed in any old cars.

8. I have a ZZ4 with GM fast burn heads and they are drilled to use either style valve covers.

9. chevyshack

chevyshack

Google zz4 on you tube. Im sure there are a few videos there.

10. Dave50

Dave50

j will get a pic for ya of a guy who did a real nice job on 1 painted the heads and evreything i will tell more when i get pic

11. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Yes to all the above with the exception of the HEI. you'll have to check but dual quads don't like to fit with HEIs.

Bolt pattern on the exhaust is the same but those heads have D shaped ports. You may have hard time getting them to seal.

The heads and block have the same accessory bolt holes, so going to the old style pulleys and brackets is no problem.

12. dbradley

dbradley

My '33 has ZZ4 with (Edelbrock) dual quads. HEI fits, so do ram's horns. Both used with original heads. I've now changed to TrickFlow heads and both still fit. (TrickFlows also use 'traditional' valve covers with no adapters)

13. ZZ4 and serpentine belt.....does that mean it may have a reverse flow waterpump? If that is the case be careful when switching over to standard brackets and pulleys....you may end up spinning the water pump backwards. Simple fix.....go with an olderstyle pump...an early model short if possible.

14. I was thinking some one made the "Olds" valve covers for the late GM centerbolts??

15. I have a ZZ4 in my '40 Chevy. It came with a factory long pump but no pullies so I'm not eure on its rotation. I put a normal rotation short pump and accessories on it. The plastic timing cover just touched the pump so I ground off the high spots on the cover. No problems.

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That would be the easier way :D

Go here for the web page to buy some :rolleyes: @ $149

http://www.shiny-hiney.com/rocket.html

17. selohssa

selohssa

Thanks guys, I will do this swap now for sure. I am going to shit bag the truck that the engine is in for a while before I pull it but this should be a blast in a rpu. This is going to be the third time that I am changing the trans mounts and I have never had this truck running.

18. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

The only way to make it look "traditional" is to run a hood until you find the motor that you really want.

Fake Rocket valve covers and little "do-dads" will just have people laughing behind your back.

19. selohssa

selohssa

I figured that I would get a comment like this but I like the performance and reliability that this engine will provide. It will be my daily driver and I drive around 100-120 miles a day. I am thinking about those finned valve covers, edelbrock c4b, holley double pumper, and rams horns manifolds. I am building this to drive so it is getting a rear four bar and newer rear end anyway, so it is not being a 100% era correct car any way.

20. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My local speed shop has a set of camel hump heads with fresh valve job and bronze guide liners for $350 ; you could get twice that for your heads. Then short water pump and early corvette rams horn manifolds with appropriate alternator bracket. Also single groove pulleys and 1 long belt. 3X2 carbs off of a 348 or J 2 Olds and Mallory dual point .

21. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Oh, I wasn't trying to be an ass. I honestly think your best bet is to run the hood while you assemble the motor that you really want.

You can build the car in the overall style you want without letting the motor distract from that theme. Hot Rods with hoods look great, so it's a win/win situation.

22. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

i have a ZZ4, I wasn't trying to hide it, but I did want to make it a little less "new". I went with the 1986 corvette valve covers, the edelbrock water pump (doesn't require the grinding) and the ram horn exhaust manifolds. The air cleaner is easy to deal with. The ZZ4 does require the vortec accessory mounts for alt & AC if you go that direction. Alan Grove has these.

23. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

If the engine you have with the "small HEI" is the one that is used with the TBI (and its a factory style TBI), it's computer controlled and won't work. If you want electronic, get an old Delco point distributor and a Pertronix, and convert it over. You can use any v-belt setup from an older engine, short or long pump, as long as you don't mix and match between the two types. Don't forget to replace the water pump either way, since it is reverse rotation. Any conventional SBC intake will work, as will the ram horns. If you want it to look more like an older small block, paint the heads and get a valve cover adapter to run old style covers. Those heads are the old C4 Vette aluminum heads, and while they are better than most stock iron heads they don't compare to any aftermarket head, and therefore don't bring any $$$ for resale. You will lose compression with practically any other head, though, since the combusion chambers are pretty small (around 58cc).

24. That's cool! My dad has a late model L31 sitting in his shop that he is confused about what to do with....maybe this will inspire!

25. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

we used a zz4. not really traditional, but I think it looks great....

what ya start out with:
    [​IMG]

After a bunch of grinding/sanding and prep work:
    [​IMG]
    After Paint:
    [​IMG]

add a Milodon oil pan for a racier look(prepped/primed/painted)
    [​IMG]
    add the Hilborn Injection/Joe Hunt Magneto/Ramhorns/Valve covers
    [​IMG]

finished in the chassis:
    [​IMG]

26. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

WoW!

27. billthx138

billthx138

28. selohssa

selohssa

Holy Shit. That is BADD ASS! Thanks for the inspiration.

I bagged the hell out of the truck that it is in yesterday on the highway. These engines are great. My 11 month old even started cheering when my three year old son was reving it in the driveway.

29. [​IMG]

How are the valve covers attached to that? is there an adapter.

30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It wouldn’t be “sixties” looking so much as early- to mid-fifties, but am I the only one who thinks these would look cool on a stovebolt-blue engine with “Blue Flame Eight” lettered on the wire looms and an oil-bath aircleaner?

-Dave