Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you indentify this steering box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rolf, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Rolf

Rolf

I need a compact steering box for my pinched 32 rails with a nailhead (starter on the left side!) I love to use a F-1 or F-100 box, but they are probably too big for thru-the-frame application. I saw this rather compact box at on friends project, he thought Willys maybe? Do you know...?

[​IMG]

2. oldtin

oldtin

Rolf-looks like a Willys pick up/wagon box to me. I have three Ross boxes, one in a 56 wagon...one in a 58 pick up and one in pops barn out of a 62 wagon. There all out of town so a direct verification isn't possible but I'd bet that its Willys.

Oldtins outdated home

3. Rolf

Rolf

Thanks Old Tin, I will be on the look-out for one...

4. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

I think you can find Ross boxes on old Internationals.

5. Winfab

Winfab

The two bolt flange at the pitman shaft looks similar to a Crosley box I have, but I'm not sure about the column mounting. I'll try to take a look tomorrow.

6. nobux

nobux

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for a SMALL sidesteer box forever! I went to Rohner's in Wilmar,MN this morning and wandered over to the Willys wagons. There they were, the exact same box. There was at least 3 or 4 of them there, all tight. I then checked out some early 50s International 1/2 tons. They too have a Ross box, but it is even better! The pitman shaft sits ot top of the fram and the box mounts on the inside. Everything is supported by an cutout that is 2"wide, it sits right over my 2 by 3 frame rail. The box only portrudes off the frame 3"! I got the box and attatched steering column(which is about 6 feet long) for $50. I think I paid the same for the Vega box I got from there last month.
    Thanks again guys!
    Karl

7. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

ok thsi is probaly a stupid question i should already know the answer to, but how come i never hear or anyone using a stock steering box on any of the 30s model stuff? Did they just hardcore suck or something?

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    how come i never hear or anyone using a stock steering box on any of the 30s model stuff? Did they just hardcore suck or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can drive my 33 truck and decide for yourself! Yeah - they're pretty rough. Even when new/rebuilt, they're very high effort due to design. The 37 & later box is better (cross steer), but still nothing to write home about.

I've got a couple boxes gathering dust - still deciding which way to go.

[​IMG]

9. Winfab

Winfab

I finally remembered to check the Crosley box. There are some slight differences but the overall shape, mounting appears to be the same. I told my wife there was a reason I keep ALL this stuff......

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

nobux,

That IH box sounds sweet - You got a pic of it? I'm always looking for something else...

[​IMG]

11. Mart

Mart

I'll vouch for the stock Ford boxes being crap. The 32 box in Old Rusty was awful, even with new bearings and needle roller pitman arm bushes.
    I fitted a Hudson box that is ten times better.
    mart.

12. Look at 30s GM boxs, much better design than Fords side steer offerings of the same era.

13. nobux

nobux

Here is a picture(I hope) of the Ross box I took off of a 53 International 1/2ton. The Willys box was fundamentally the same box but was a through the frame design. Both boxes measured about 5-6" wide from pitman arm to inside.

14. nobux

nobux

15. Rolf

Rolf

Try again, I like to see it.

Thanks for all feedback on this subject...

16. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails