Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you id this Ford engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Time, Jan 19, 2007.

1. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

It was in a slingshot dragster called "The Allard Dragon" in 1964. The driver's side intake and exhaust has me confused.

Attached Files:

2. Tom C

Tom C

3. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Thanks! I had no idea these were kit cars! The catalog says that they are powered by Ford engines of 1498 cc, 140 bhp with a Shorrock supercharger. Still, I have no idea what that engine is. Something from an Anglia?

4. That's a pre-crossflow engine. I think it was used in the early Cortina among others cars in England. I believe it was the basis for Formula Fords of the future too. Stu

5. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

6. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Are you guys sure this is a pre-crossflow Kent? The engine in the photo looks like a flathead to me. The Kent is an OHV.:confused: For that to be a rocker cover, it would have to have some mighty short rockers.

7. Its a pre-crossflow engine that was fitted to various small Fords (107E, Anglia, Cortina).

The 'Kent' engine was a later engine that had a crossflow head.

It is a OHV and certainly not a sidevalve.

The engine you have shown is fitted with a Allard Dragstar Shorrock supercharger kit. This differed from the Shorrock Road version as it mounted the supercharger above the rocker cover, whethers the road version mounted it beside the engine to keep it under the bonnet.