Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can you ID this bumper?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mramc1, Jun 3, 2014.

1. mramc1

mramc1

I bought this bumper from a guy that thought it would fit his '34 Dodge, but it doesn't. I bought it and would like to figure out what it fits. The bumper measures 66 inches long. The bumper has a two grove detail down the center. There are two irons that bolt on by three bolts total. The bolt holes in the irons are 31 inches wide. I would assume it fits a car with parallel leafs or frame horns similar to a '33-'35 Dodge or similar to the rear of a '33-'34 Ford. Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Not sure but I don't think it's Ford. HRP

3. redo32

redo32

1940 Chev. Bracket are for the front

4. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Wow! That's a beauty. :cool:

5. mramc1

mramc1

It doesn't look like a '40 Chevy bumper. I googled that bumper and brackets. The brackets defintely are not the same as a '40 Chevy front. It also looks like the detail lines are too close together and the bumper ends aren't the right shape. Anyone else have an idea? It looks to me as it has to fit an early to mid '30s car with frame horns that stick out past the fenders. I don't think the brackets look right for a fat fendered car.

6. aaggie

aaggie

Not a '40 Chevy, mine is original and looks nothing like that.

7. redo32

redo32

Your right. I definitely jumped to a conclusion on that one. Been searching images and it looks closest to a '36 Plymouth, but they didn't have the grooves. You got me. ??

8. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

looks like a 38 chevy

9. mramc1

mramc1

It's not a '38 Chevy, not even close to that. I think the bumper irons and the double detail line are the key. I have looked at Packards, Hudsons, Pierce Arrows as well as more mainstream cars and trucks and can't figure it out! Pierce Arrow irons look similar, but the bumpers are completely different. Maybe it's a rear bumper off a truck?

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is pretty similar to the rear bumper on this 36 Packard 120 ragtop I found in some car show coverage.
    [​IMG]

11. mramc1

mramc1

The shape is similar, but the Packard bumper has one large line in the center, not two little ones. It also has too many bolt holes. My bumper only has three. Thanks for the picture.

12. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I'd be looking at service vehicles, like light vans, ice cream trucks, etc, which used stock bumpers but special brackets.

Those brackets are not typical of any common 20's/30's/40's designs, which virtually always bolt along the side of the rails.

13. Brackets might be designed to clear a continental spare tire or something.

14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

It seems to me like they bolt to the last crossmember on a vehicle without frame horns.