Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you help me i d this rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FLATHEAD VICKY, Sep 27, 2009.

1. FLATHEAD VICKY

FLATHEAD VICKY

I hope you can let me know what this rear is ????????

Attached Files:

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The pattern on the wheels looks to be 5 on 5.5

Which is early Ford/Mercury and later model Ford pickups up to the 80's or 90's. I believe it is a Dana series ... like stock under the 49 / 50 / 51 Mercs and some Ford F-1 of that same era.

But I could be WRONG :rolleyes:

3. that rear pan looks like the same pan on my gf's 50 pontiac the guy we bought the car from said it was from a elcamino ......but, i found both axle seals leaking like a seve so i replaced them and tried to get a new gasket for it no parts store near me had a gasket for it was almost a joke none had a 10 bolt gm gasket

well any who while tring to find said gasket i got to look through a felpro book and matched it up that book said it was for a ..... chevette??????????????

i didnt know chevettes had 10 bolts in them so ill be watching this post to see what the wiser then me people come up with

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'd say 8.2" GM 10 bolt. Came in mid 60's to early 70's Chevy cars.

5. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

What is under???...By the looks i'd agree!!

6. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Looks GM to me.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree with Landseaandair, Pretty much a standard Chev 10 bolt.
    I can see where they cut brackets for the upper control arms off the center section so it most likely is Chevelle. It could be big car though. Look at the top of the housing and you can see that the brackets for the upper control arms have been cut off.

What is the lug bolt diameter. It looks like 7/16 which would mean that it has a 4-3/4 inch bolt pattern. If the lug bolts are 1/2 inch it will have a five inch bolt pattern and be from an Impala or Caprice normally.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. Spity

Spity

x2
    65+ Looks like its from a chevelle

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I'd suspect a Nova, Camaro, Firebird leaf spring rear. It's not a coil spring rear like this Chevelle ...notice the upper control arm mounts that are part of the casting.

10. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I'd say you are correct....the 8.2...

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The pass side tube should have some numbers stamped into it on the upper front side. Hard to see and may take some wire brushing but if you can find it and read it, a Chevy parts dept should be able to tell you what it left the factory in and all the pertinent info.

This site has some info. I believe all the GM rears had these numbers to identify it. I remember having to find this number to get parts for some rears that had running changes during the year. No mistakes using this number.