Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you help I.D. This Flathead Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HILLBILLY'ED, Dec 27, 2010.

1. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

I need some help,I think this is a 38-42 motor but I have never seen this on the bellhousing part of the block...It looks like a C-N with a 3 one one side and a 4 across from that... ANY HELP ??

Attached Files:

2. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

3. more pictures....?....just saying....

4. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

I was thinking someone would know what the marking on the bell was..but there I go thinking again !!

Attached Files:

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

The 81-A prefix on the heads say '38-'42. Of course, heads can be changed. I'm not familiar with the casting mark on the bellhousing.

Bob

6. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

Yea I'm sure its all 38-42, I know what the heads are, and most of the rest of the parts..Its just the casting on the block ?? G N ?? thanks for any help you can give

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  7. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

The top of the block is machined flat for the intake surface.. On the top rear pass. side of the block {intake surface} there is a diamond with a K in it

Attached Files:

8. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

any help yet ?? whats a keystone block??

9. bobscogin

bobscogin

10. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

From the reading that I've done on flatheads the bell housing marks have never been decoded and seem to have been more of a foundry ID than anything and their are various ones because blocks were cast in more than one place

11. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

The fact that it has a generator mounted fan is '39 or earlier, Ford went to a fan mounted lower off the intake in '40. I have an 81A engine from a '38 and it's pretty much identical, same ignition wire tubes, same air cleaner and gen mounted fan.