Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can you adjust mechanical fuel pump pressure?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Jul 17, 2019.

1. NAES

NAES

I just installed a new AC Delco fuel pump on my '53 Chrysler with a Mopar 360 topped with an Edelbrock 4barrel (1806) carb in there. There was fuel pooling at the top of the pump seam. It ran like hell afterwards and initially blamed the carb. But starting from the tank and moving up I replaced fuel lines and filters. Then measured fuel pressure and I'm getting 7.5 psi which is a little high according to Edelbrock.

I see these god awful looking adjustable fuel pressure regulators available but was hoping an old timer might know a trick or 2 to dial down the pressure at the pump. Maybe bending the arm a bit or shimming it out, etc?

Thanks for any advice guys. NAES

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

The pressure is determined by the spring inside the pump, which is kind of hard to change on a pump that's crimped together.

If the pump is leaking, I suggest you first look carefully for leaks at the fittings, or oil or coolant dripping onto the pump from elsewhere. If it's really leaking fuel from the seam, take it back and get a new pump.

3. NAES

NAES

Sorry Squirrel, the old pump was leaking after 10 years of use, not the new one.

Ok, so a pressure regulator is needed. Are there any overly simple looking units in existence with just a couple of fittings and some type of needle seat to regulate pressure? What I'm finding are these gaudy chromed out units that are more suited for high performance engines. I would prefer something that kinda blends into the engine bay. If that makes sense.

4. NAES

NAES

Since there's gonna be a little downtime and I have a carb spacer on order to keep heat away from the carb I figured it was time to peek inside. Yikes is all I can say! Even with filters being changed somewhat regularly over the past 10 years, a ton of garbage was still floating around in there!

Wifey decided it was time for a photo-op.

NAES 20190717_192856.jpeg

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. alchemy

alchemy

There are many threads explaining peoples' problems with the round dial type regulators. Most everyone (myself included) has had good luck with the Holley regulators. They come in at least a couple different ranges, so make sure to pick the one that your carb wants to live with. Also install a gauge in the system so you know exactly what you are dialing in.

54vicky and lumpy 63 like this.
  6. Your Edelbrock will be happy with 4 1/2- 6 psi max- also while you have it apart make sure the floats are set to Edelbrock spec and you should be good to go

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Does the pump have a return line that you plugged off?
    Are you reading 7.5 running or deadheaded?

8. NAES

NAES

Good question Mark!

I just stabbed the gauge into the end of the fuel line and cranked to get my reading. The engine was not running at the time.

9. Seems like it woulda started if it had gas in the carb. Anyway, not a good test. What about a return port?

10. NAES

NAES

Yes the engine ran with the new pump but it didn't run well at all which is why I went through the fuel system prior to pulling the carb to dive inside.

I do not have a return line currently. I have a line from the tank to the pump then a hard line from the pump directly to the carb. I have never heard of using a return line with a mechanical pump but I also am not a fuel system expert by any means. So if I can run some type of inline check valve with a return dumping back "behind" the pump to belld off the extra few pounds of pressure, that sounds like a great option.

What would I look up for this check valve setup?

Thanks everyone for the help. NAES

11. NAES

NAES

This is the gauge I used to measure the fuel pressure. Do I need to modify it with a "T" fitting so the fuel is passing through the entire unit with the engine running to get an accurate reading?

And an impromptu wifey pic to show I'm tryin' here guys! Lol 1563422782286.jpeg IMG-20190717-WA0000.jpeg

12. squirrel

squirrel

it would be a good idea to measure fuel pressure with the engine running.

Return lines were used for a long time, usually on cars with big engines that would get pretty warm, and tend to vapor lock. Usually they had three fittings on the pump, the return was an added 1/4" hose fitting. Another way to run a return line is to us a filter such as a Wix 33040 or 33041 (for 5/16 or 3/8 line respectively) that has a fitting for a return line. But that won't really regulate pressure.

I run 6 or 7 psi with Carter AFBs on my go fast cars, using an electric pump and pressure regulator, they seem to do fine like that. The regulator is the Holley that's kind of large, and can be adjusted precisely.

13. carbking

carbking

An original pump from 1953 should be rebuildable (held together with screws). As Jim stated, the pressure that the pump can produce is dependent on the tension of the diaphragm spring. I know different tension springs were used in different pumps. I do not know if individual springs are available ala carte.

Then & Now Automotive, in the Boston area, is an excellent source of fuel pump kits.

The first return lines of which I am aware, were used on late 1950's vehicles with A.C., and as Jim mentioned, were an extra tap on the fuel pump.

We started suggesting the inline 3-line filter at the carburetor maybe 40 years ago. With the garbage fuel, the inline is more beneficial than the tap at the pump, as it protects more of the fuel line.

Jon.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    egads likes this.
  14. NAES

NAES

The engine has been swapped to a 70's era 360 so no fuel pump rebuilding going on here.

Thanks for the pressure regulating ideas.