Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical can the HAMB experts ID this chassis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52HardTop, May 6, 2018.

1. 52HardTop

52HardTop

HAMBers, I have a friend who shares another hobby that I also have. He called and asked if I could tell him anything about this old chassis that belonged to hid Father in law who had recently passed. I asked for some images and knew there was probably no better place to seek help than from the H.A.M.B. I've never seen a challenge for identification go unsolved so I present these pictures for your enjoyment and to possibly help a friend. Along with the chassis, he also has some V8 hubcaps and some Graham hubcaps too. Thanks a lot guys,
    Dominic chassis1.jpg chassis2.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Chevrolet....from the mid late thirties...my guess is ‘37

It has the ‘hat section’ frame rails common to Chevrolet and the DuBonnet (aka knee action) front suspension GM used in the ‘36-‘38 era. Also, the torque tube driveline shown in the pic is Chevrolet....

Ray

3. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I'm having trouble with a 3rd image. It shows a tourqe tube type rear and knee action type shocks.

4. BJR

BJR

What year did Chev go to hydraulic brakes? That should get you close to the year.

Last edited: May 6, 2018

5. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Ray, I agree with the top hat chassis. I'm more familiar with the 50s Chevys and their chassis'. These shocks are very unusual to me and not like any Chevy shocks I've seen.

6. I had those big front shocks on a 1934 Chev master deluxe sedan.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Those ‘big front shocks’ are more than just shocks....they are the suspension units. They contain a coil spring as well as incorporating a shock absorber mechanism. The DuBonnet suspension system was widely considered unsatisfactory as it required frequent attention and maintenance and was not durable in common use. . The majority of Chevrolets so equipped were retrofitted with the beam axle and leaf springs used by Chevrolet on cars not originally equipped with the DuBonnet system.

Ray

8. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Looks like a 37-38 with the knee action front

9. I think Chevy had hydraulics in late '35.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Thanks for your help Ray. I never knew there was such a suspension under the early Chevy. I've forwarded the link to this post to the fellow who now owns the frame.

11. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Thanks to all who added their input. this chassis is in Mass and hopefully it will help the owner find a new home for it.
    Dom

Hnstray likes this.
  12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The steering wheel is really hard to make out, but it could be the remains of a '38 optional wheel.