Register now to get rid of these ads!

can i use a bent copper pipe in my radiator hose setup?? pic inside of what i mean

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luvzccr, Jun 20, 2011.

1. luvzccr

luvzccr

[​IMG]

okay if this is completley stupid or dumb try not to be too harsh on me, but on my 58 ford fairlane, im puttin the 460 in it, and on the 460 the water nect is on the passenger side, and the inlet on the radiator is on my driver side.

i attempted to use an ugly flexy looking hose from oreillys, but it was too short *it was the longest one they sold too*, and it was kinking anyway. besides i didnt wanna go that route.

eventually i'll get a new radiator, but the one i have is a 3 core and would be perfect for the time being. so for now, can i just buy a 10 dollar copper pipe with the bend in it, place two hoses on both ends with a clamp, then attatch it to the water neck, and then to my inlet???

someone i ran into at home depot said use an exhaust pipe inside of the copper, but i read it could rust. any ideas if this could work? i searched on the hamb for this, i found something similar but it wasnt quite like what im asking. thanks if you can help, or understand my picture i drew ha :cool:

2. HotRod31

HotRod31

Quick answer, Yes you can.

Later, Mark

3. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I've done it, I've even used a 90º copper bend, soldered directly to my radiator for my thermostat housing on my hot rod.

4. swissmike

swissmike

Yes you can...

5. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I don't see a thing wrong with doing that......

6. 4woody

4woody

I've soldered copper plumbing fittings together to make complicated bends for both the heater & radiator hoses, then attached rubber hoses to them with hose clamps. Works fine.

7. moefuzz

moefuzz

Lots of early auto manufacturers used copper/brass pipe in the old days.

8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Yes you can but any radiator shop can move that connection pretty easy. Thats what I would do.Have a great day Gary

9. luvzccr

luvzccr

awesome thanks guys :) and yea ill eventually have a radiator shop move the inlet.. well maybe,in the long run im just gonna buy an aftermarket radiator, this bent copper pipe will just be a temporary fix for now though. thanks everyone!

10. dv8

dv8

We put two long copper pipes, and lots of elbows soldered together on MBL's flathead in his roadster....lots of "experts" and even one plumber said it would never hold up....That was about 6 years ago....no leaks yet, but I'm on my third rubber heater hose cap from two years ago on one of my cars.

11. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Your sure can... This set up works great. And has been doing so at least 7 years.

Attached Files:

12. It would be a good idea to add a lip to each end of the pipe just like the like the radiator outlet has to reduce the risk of the hose blowing off.

13. Eight433

Eight433

I'd polish the copper and run it long term!

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have a short chrome plated copper tube in my upper radiator hose..so yes, yes you can

15. joel torres

joel torres

my 47 plymouth i think came from the factory set up this way a hose comes off the rad then there is a 90 degree pipe the a hose to the block
    you can go to a muffler shop and they can put a ridge at both ends so when you clamp it the hose can't blow off
    when i change hoses im going to use copper pipe

16. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

I would think that you just have to watch out for metal fatigue if any vibration or flexing force is applied to the copper pipe. In this case, with rubber hoses on each end, it shouldn't be a problem.

17. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Guys have used straight pipe in the runs for their flatheads with dual radiator hoses and dual water pumps.

I'd use a piece of stainless exhaust tubing and polish it to a shine, while using something like a 30 or 60 grit to sand the tips where the hoses would connect. Put it in place, make it look nice, and drive it like you stole it!

18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Works great for me. I did weld a bead all around each end of the tube so the hose clamps wouldn't slide iff the ends of the steel tube under pressure.

Used the same deal for my heater hoses.

SPark

Attached Files:

19. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

[​IMG]

My son used a simple U-bend on his Falcon...

20. LM14.....is that Pex tubing in your heater hose runs?

21. If you can't get the right hose then theres absolutly no reason why you can't, Ive seen it done heaps of times.

22. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

make a "bead" of solder to form a slight barb to keep hose from sliding off when hot and under pressure (BTDT), I get all sizes and shapes from local plumbing supply, not big box store.

23. I use a double 90 copper 1 1/4 fitting on my rail to make the rad fit properly . I had the little rail at a car show two weeks ago and two "Experts" were there quizing my pals if soldered coppper was safe for a cooling system. They were postulating like your typical armchair experts. I did not feel compelled to bother to tell them the whole radiator was held together with the exact same solder and is is made of copper as well but much thinner of course.
    Somehow finally idiots dont bother me anymore. Anyway it has been on my car for 5 years now wih no problem.
    Don

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A very traditional approach. As a steamfitter in the 60s, I often supplied the copper fittings. I hope the statute of limitations has expired.:D

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I used chrome sink pipe on the Peter Beater.

26. Rolf did it too on his coupe build, he has or had a list of all the different bends, looked really nice and solves a lot of problems.

27. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

It's electric welded mild steel tubing bent to shape.

SPark

28. yes you can, cooper is what your radiator is made of. I'm using a short section of 304 stainless because the lower radiator hose is close to the belt.