Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can I remove the spacer between my blower & carbs?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 32blownhemi, Jan 24, 2018.

1. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

2. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

I'm going with the scoop I bought on Ebay so no more air cleaner problem. If I had it to do again I'd go with a 331 & a 6:71. I'm overkill for the street... I would like to get the manifold from Australia so the scoops lower but don't know how with the distributor in the way.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 871, high capacity pan, valve cover spacers to clear hig buck rocker assembly all tell me that's one hell of an engine. If you want all that in a 32 ford you're going to have many a compromise to live with.

On the bottom of the list of compromising would be to restrict the air intake by a goofy air cleaners configuration.

4. 6-71 or offset distributor drive, then you can go up to a 14-71 I think with the offset drive

5. Hombre

Hombre

Don't really know what that is, but it is different. Compare this 392 and you will see were the valve cover is mounted, and it does not have that piece. brads392hemiproject140.jpg

6. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Yes, I agree on air cleaners sticking out would look goofy! But I found a scoop I like! Hmm, outset drive? I'll research that. I have 3/4" spacers between the valve covers & heads. Got em from Hot Heads. That's why it looks different. The numbers on the block are 392 hemi numbers. Motor came from Big Al's Toy Box....

mad mikey likes this.
  7. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

8. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

In fact the number shown on his Web site (574) is my block number. Guess he hasn't sold a 392 in 10 years. Lol...

mad mikey likes this.
  9. You need very tall & wide aftermarket valve covers or that spacer to clear tall &wide after market valve train parts

10. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Might not have needed the spacers cuz I put on dimpled valve covers (the original Hemi valve covers & the spacers I put on). Did it just in case. Plus I figured it make the engine stick out more & look meaner. Lol...

11. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

12. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

13. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

14. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

15. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

16. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

17. 392 and 6-71 was plenty good enough for Don Garlits and the rest of the boys back then.
    Then things got crazy and crazier, bigger and bigger.

mad mikey likes this.
  18. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

So I guess if Garlits only needed an 6:71 I probably could have gotten by with one too. Lol... Yeah I was just going for looks. For less money I could have gotten one of Al's big block Chevy's that put out 300 HP more. But why? All it does now is burn off. Lol... Actually, the reason I got the motor their was I couldn't find Hemi parts. I got tired of looking... Thanks for the help! I'm going to get some sleep... Bill

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

OK, I'll just come right out with it and it is just one mans' opinion.
    Cool motor, top to bottom, love it.
    Mr. Gasket air cleaner scoops made to look like Enderle injector hats have been lame from the start, I don't care how many they sold.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

As we say out here on the West Side:

Hella tacky.

21. No matter what, I don't think anything we can come up will fix this one

22. I can fix this! Give me the engine , and I will put it in a car with NO hood where it belongs. Problem solved.:eek:;):)

23. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Well, thank you guys for your honest opinion! Who makes a fuel injection unit that would work on the street on my car? Bill

24. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

25. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

I like the look ^^^ of the bottom two... But they said it won't work on the street...

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you looking for actual fuel injection, or just a scoop that looks like one?

Mechanical injection is almost impossible to make work on the street. There are something line 6 living Humans who have done it. I tried for a customer, for months, with all manner of parts, but could not do it.

EFI can be had, but cannot be talked about on this board. If you want that, PM me. I can point you in the right direction.

28. Wait a min now!?!?

The simple stuff is too hard,
    the right parts are out of the question,
    making things goffyer to get around the problem is a better idea?
    Making things more much more complicated and harder is a better idea?

Here's 1 plan for you and 1 plan for somebody else.
    Your plan first, it's based on the type of opening questions you asked here and on your other threads.
    Get a regular old 392 oil pan and the right oil pump pick up tube. (Just Order it)
    Trade the 8-71 for a 6-71 (or you can just order a 6-71)
    Get the Australian manifold (just order it)
    Get some Donovan valve covers (just order them)
    Put the hood on
    that completes all your original goals and solves your current mechanical and spatial problems as well as ground clearance issues at the same time as providing aesthetics improvement.

The plan for somebody else
    Put the dragster engine in a car where it belongs.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  29. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

30. If you would have said that to me in 85', I probably would've went home an hid...... Gave it back to my buddy whom I borrowed it from to look kool,and said to never talk to me again.......
    Today= well........:oops: