Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods can high fill primer be used vs epoxy primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by putz, Sep 3, 2017.

1. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i want to spray a frame using high fill epoxy primer ,only reason is that i want to use paint i have .
    the frame now has been blasted , wiped down ready for next step ,using the epoxy high fill will i have to scuff it after spraying before spraying black . will this work ??? any help appreciated .

2. Is the primer designed to go over bare metal? Really what you need to do is read the product information sheets for whatever product you are using it will answer all these questions better than any of us guessing not knowing what the product is.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. squirrel

squirrel

I use high build urethane primer on bare steel, then paint over it with acrylic enamel, it works fine.

But I live in Arizona, not Wisconsin.

4. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

That's a loaded question. You have to realize that ferrous metal starts to rust immediately after abrading. Whatever direct to metal product you use, it should be applied as soon as possible to the properly prepared bare metal. Less than 8 hours. Some epoxies do not need additional sanding and can be coated up to 5 days later without sanding. That being said, results vary depending upon humidity.