Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can anyone identify this trunk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LuckyFord, Jan 14, 2016.

1. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

I found this trunk, got an idea I want to use it for. It was labelled as late 20's auto trunk. I'm just curious what it was really from. It is only one I have seen so I am hesitating on cutting it. 20160105_200826.jpg 20160105_200909.jpg 20160105_201024.jpg 20160105_200435.jpg 20160105_200445.jpg 20160105_200501.jpg

2. I don't know much about trunks but there was a known brand called "Potter". Maybe google it and see.

3. carmuts

carmuts

Slightly different from the Kari-Keen trunks I have had. But they likely made more than one style and I am sure I have not seen them all. Rod

4. Looks a lot like the accessory 1928 Dodge Brothers trunk on the Victory Six.... Picture 317.jpg

302GMC likes this.

5. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

When I google it the top listing and top picture are the exact trunk I bought. Funny.

6. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

That does look like it from what can be seen in that pic. Same gloss black finish on inside and appears to have the breaks in sheet metal on back.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Almost all such trunks were aftermarket...they were common until cars started growing serious built-in trunks.
    Obviously, the ones cut like yours are for sedans and tourings, the squared ones generally for coupes and roadsters. Yours might be Taylor, but there were lots of brands. There were even some like Karri-Keen that swung down into a seriously cantilevered pickup bed about 4 feet long...

8. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

9. You beat me to it Dodger- that is the same as the trunk on my '28 Victory Six :D

Bruce, that specific trunk should run from the mid 20's to 1932- it wouldn't fit the body style changes that the big three changed to in '33.

10. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Good info thanks. Any collector value to it in this condition? I'm thinking about cutting it down smaller.

11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I would modify it to fit your needs. I have seen some of those sit on craigslist for long periods of time.

12. Personally,, That whole program just don't get it for me. It don't matter what the Trunk is or isn't worth. You're at that place when I ask the Customer, Are we building a Hot Rod or just hanging what we have laying around into a big pile. How are you going to support 8lbs. per gallon back there and be able to open a back door? Also as you can see you can't mount it against the body and make it look like a Hump Back due to the way the lid opens. I'd say save it for another project.
    Don't hate me for that, it's just my opinion. Remember,,, It's your car. I'll respect that.
    The Wizzard

13. carmuts

carmuts

Sold my Karri-Keen with Model A mounts, bumper extentions and spare tire carrier for $175. Probably could have gotten a little more. Rod

14. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

I understand what your saying. It looks like a sore thumb sitting there like that. My idea came from a Race style T-bucket. Many guys put a spun aluminum fuel cell out back for traction/weight transfer. The old sleeper I'm remembering had a luggage style trunk out back with fuel cell on one side. When someone asked him why he didn't put the battery on the other side, he replied, it has two purposes. Grocery bags if I'm hauling her ass, sand bags if I'm dragging your ass! I thought it was a cool idea. Trying to make it look right on a sedan is the question I'm not sure of.

15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Don't those fasten to the trunk rack to support the weight ?
    This was the type accessory much sought after in the resto-rod era (which was a good era) and look great on low, full fendered highway driven cars. Not so good on rusty fenderless stuff.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  16. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Rusty? Where?;)

17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Not to mean yours ... rusty meant as an example ... sorry.

18. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Hell mines rusty everywhere! No offense taken.

19. We all seem to have a Vision even before we start a project. We know what we like.
    Quote " Trying to make it look right on a sedan is the question I'm not sure of." end of quote.
    I've said this an unknown number of times. Roll your project outside, turn your back on it and walk away. Stop at 30 feet and turn around. Look at it from all angles. If you like what you see keep going. If not, now is the time to make changes. From that point you can see what to do.
    The Wizzard

20. In line with what Pit-n-Broke just said, remember that those trunks were designed for those cars in the infancy of Art Deco. You may not want to cut it down to fit the tank better, instead, redesign what you're doing inside of the trunk.

As far as worth is concerned, I've seen them go for $100-$500, depending on condition, etc.

21. LuckyFord

LuckyFord

Good info guys. This whole thing is just brain storming and all this helps.