Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can anyone identify the source of this spare tire holder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayfarer, Nov 29, 2008.

1. wayfarer

wayfarer

My father-in-law has a restored '46 GMC that he's hopping up to play with. It has this spare tire carrier on the passenger side and he'd like something similar for the driver's side. After pulling the tire, we can tell that it came from some kind of automobile and was modified to fit the truck. Any help you could give me of the source of the original piece would be appreciated. Sorry for the crappy pictures, but all I had was my cell phone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Looks like it might be an "under the bed", spare tire mount for a pickup

3. wayfarer

wayfarer

We were actually wondering if it was the one off the GMC, but looking under there, it doesn't look like it would've fit. The truck came from a farm and was used for decades, so I have no idea what it may have come off of. The part that holds the tire is hinged so it could drop down, but it's welded to the piece that goes up to the bedrail in this particular installation.

4. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I have an early 47 GMC, which is the same style as the 46, but it had the spare tire carrier underneath in the back.

5. 1959cac

1959cac

Who cares? It's cool as is, leave it so people scatch their heads.<p> Ingenuity first, Credit Cards second!

6. wayfarer

wayfarer

What we want to do is build another one for the other side, not get rid of this one. I know this truck had the spare underneath originally, but we both like it, plus it takes away some of the bed length when you view the truck from the side.

7. I agree with HotRod40coupe.

8. Used to could buy the rack to relocate the spare. GM sold them as a dealer option and maybe a factory option. $.02

9. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

thats the original one from under the bed..i just cut mine off and took it to scrap

10. wayfarer

wayfarer

Well, anyone have one lying around?

11. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

let me take a look under my dads 3/4 ton tomorrow and see if it that same

12. wayfarer

wayfarer

So, before I start trying to search one out, anyone not think it's the original from under the bed? I'd like to get one and modify it for him. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

13. wayfarer

wayfarer

Ok, now I'm confused. There's a '41-'46 Chevrolet spare tire carrier on ebay, but it looks nothing like the one I'm looking for. Is the GMC one different or am I still trying to figure out what it came from.

Picture from ebay:
    [​IMG]

14. Probably not from that truck. Looks like a later model with the hinge end cut off. could be from a differenf brand!!

15. wayfarer

wayfarer

16. old1946truck

old1946truck

That looks like the original because both my 46's have the mounts. I've seen the reproduction spare tire carrier's for 41-46 Chevy/GMC trucks from many companys. The picture you found on ebay is the track for it thats mounted to the frame under the bed.