Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can a Detroit Locker..........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTFuzz, Sep 4, 2013.

1. be made streetable?......I searched all the posts re: Lockers and it seems as many people like them as people that don't.
    I have 5 lockers and 0 limited slip set ups, so I would like to use a locker if at all possible.

2. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I drive a Lock Right on the street, which I expect drives like a Detroit. My build is so radical, you hardly notice the locker while managing all of its other eccentricities.

3. I've driven detroits for many years, never a problem

4. raven

raven

I skipped the middleman and use a spool.
    r

5. Sure you can drive a Detroit locker on the street.

6. afaulk

afaulk

I just recently bought a new one from Strange for an OT car built to drive. If you want traction with no question and you want to drive it, they can't be beat.

7. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

There are a few quirks with a Detroit, if you roll backwards, it can unlock. Sometimes going around a corner on a wet street, it can lock and suprise you but there is not a problem driving one on the street.....other than an ARB locker, it is one of the best (if not the best) for a high powered car. (locked rears excluded)

8. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Got two on the road. No drivability problems with either. Use it:)

9. I have used them on the street, they will ratchet around corners if you have enough tire to not break traction. In the wet, they can do all the wrong things at all the wrong times. But be aware of this stuff, and keep your head about you and they are fine. The more tire you have, the more you will notice the intricacies

10. "Streetable" is a subjective term that only *you* can define for yourself.

At one extreme, some guys would add headlights and a horn to a nitro-burning Funny Car and call it streetable. At the other end of the spectrum, some people wouldn't leave the driveway without A/C and surround-sound.

What are you willing to live with?

11. stimpy

stimpy

many years and know of many people who used them over the years . IMo better than a limited slip as with a limited slip you have to have matching tire sizes or you wear the clutches out and then its useless . with a detroit just remember to unload the rear end before taking tight corners unless you like to make some noise .. on the highway they work great . you only have to adjust your driving style if its wet or slick out and its only if you want to turn .

12. stimpy

stimpy

whats this a/c and surround sound you speak of ??? :rolleyes:

13. MP&C

MP&C

They're a bitch in the snow...

14. stimpy

stimpy

untill you wrap the tires with chains then they are great! unless you want to turn ..

15. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

My oppinon comes from my 4x4 experience, ownership not hearsay.

My .02... Bad for shorter wheel bases. Would I run one in my Jeep nope, my truck? hell yeah. Now this is also based on having to drive on snow.

If *you* and who ever might drive the car drives like your ass end is going to kick out on every corner when it rains, sure. Just be prepared

16. 65COMET

65COMET

I have used them mostly on 4X4 trucks.They work just as everyone has said,they can clunk going around corners,definitely clunk and let the vehicle move when parking with an automatic trans on a slope.The biggest issue I had was when towing,going around corners on a decent,it would lock and unlock unexpectedly,a bit unnerving until you get used to it. JMO , ROY.

17. Meyer

Meyer

Since you have it run it. Done it and its fine

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. I drove them on the street back in the 60s, If you don't mind the occasional thump, click, and bang, they were no problem.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never in a short wheelbase, lightweight (or both) vehicle, or any vehicle that gets driven in inclement weather. Softly sprung manual transmission vehicles may be susceptible to throttle induced unwanted steering, on shifting.

20. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Yea go for it! Had a locker in my truck when i used to 4 wheel alot (front and back. Try and steer that around!). Just be ready for some noise and the thing to bite hard. Ull get used to it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. I use a truck (SUV) year-round with a Detroit, even in the snow. You get used to its behavior and it has proven very helpful.

22. Looks like the only way I will know is to actually use it!............Thanks for all the input guys.