Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical camshaft wear illustration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Find, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Can someone help me find an illustration that shows what a used camshaft in good condition should look like?

I'm looking an an original 1939 (MOPAR) camshaft that I believe to be in good condition. It is very clear that the edge of the lobes are shiny from contact while distinct patterns of oil accumulation cover large parts where there has not been contact. I'm looking for a diagram to help me interpret these patterns and advice on whether I need do anything to shine up all the machined surfaces or just leave it as is?

2. squirrel

squirrel

If the center of the lifter wears, so it is cup shaped, then the edges of the lobe will contact the lifter, and it will be as you describe. The lifter is supposed to be slightly convex, that is it should stick out in the middle just a tiny bit, and the lobes should be slightly shine in a wide, centered band, and the edges kind of dull.

I don't know if I have any good pictures...I'll look. most of the pics on the internets are of roller lifter cams

3. squirrel

squirrel

oh...here we go. The nose of the lobe will usually be shiny all the way across. I think the lobe at the top of the picture is worn out, it's rounded off compared to the others.

cam.jpg

302GMC likes this.
  4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

5. if ya got a digital calipers you can measure the height to the tops of the lobes and they should all be about the same.

scrapiron likes this.