Register now to get rid of these ads!

Camel Back Heads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chester, Jun 17, 2012.

1. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

This wouldn't possibly have anything to do with "camel toe", would it? DD

Attached Files:

2. In addition to having bigger valves they usually have larger ports. The ones without accessory holes in the front & back also normally have smaller combustion chambers which raises compression ratio over the later heads. Depending on casting numbers and how much work they need to be serviceable I'm guessing a good used pair is only worth $200-$300 these days. Reason being there are way better choices available now. Still a cool addition to a vintage rod if you're running Chevy smallblock power. I still have a fresh pair of 461X heads ready to go on the shelf from back in the days when we raced a circle track car that the rules specified an unmodified stock cast iron head in the rule book. When the bowtie heads and later Vortec heads came out the old double hump "fuelie" heads stopped being the hot ticket.

3. my Camel Hump Heads got loss when I took them off
    to do a Valve job on them at a so called freind of
    mine shop!
    he swore that somebody took them
    which in turn he gave me another set of heads
    +200 in cash
    so when somebody looks at my engine they always ask
    about the Heads
    and I tell them these run good on my 327/300
    at this stage of my life
    I reallly dont care
    Just my 3.5 cents

4. dad-bud

dad-bud

Back in the late 60's and early 70's, camel hump SBC heads were the hot-ticket for performance. Since then, with the low cost and easy availability of after-market high performance cast iron and alloy heads, their importance has waned - a lot.
    They are very traditional, if you think that a SBC is too.

5. The camel hump was actually an identifying mark put there intentionally. There were others that were less desirable (smaller ports and valves), like the rectangle that came first, then the rectangle with a small pyramid atop it that we called "power pack" because they first appeared on small 4bbrl motors (265/283).

Another thing I would like to point out; these heads were no more likely to crack than any other motor (when overheated). Later, say '79 maybe, they started making lighter castings for the sbc, but these were lo-po heads in lo-po cars, so who cares?

The camelhump heads with bolt holes in the end were "186's", came out in '68, were the correct heads for Z-28 starting in '68, and also came on LT-1 motors as well as the 300 horse 350.

To wrap up, if you are building an era correct car from before '68, then your heads should not have bolt holes in the ends, and should have some of the factory casting marks.

6. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I think that's the whole camel.

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

check out the tech on the camel humps on here. good info if your looking for a set. they can be had for pretty cheap as well. most people are running the vortecs on there shit which are ugly as sin imho. you can find a good set for 100 - 250 in my area depending on condition

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've never seen a set of old camel hump heads with such a faint casting! Most were much heavier and raised up a lot more obvious. Those look like somebody tried to mill the humps off!
    These are on the 327 in my Austin. Much more pronounced camel hump:
    [​IMG]

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

[​IMG]

10. Deuces

Deuces

Vortecs don't do nothing for me....

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Consult the tech archives here on the HAMB; there's a sticky on the fuelie/camel hump/double hump heads. Butch/56sedandelivdery.