Register now to get rid of these ads!

cam id, help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fanspete, Apr 9, 2012.

1. fanspete

fanspete

I've searched here, there and yonder and can't find anything. I took a 355 sbc apart and the cam has only '1691' with 'C1' under it. Yes, I know it's just a stupid, worthless bellybutton and no, you Ford fanatics shouldn't ask what I'm going to do with it! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why don't cam manufacturers stamp their name at least on their products? :confused:

2. The four digits "1691" is usually part of the part number. I have been in the same situation when we raced and had a couple of cams that only had a few numbers.
    I would go into the local speed shop and sit and thumb through the books to find the cam specs. Now with the internet it is a little faster. We used one cam for two years that had NO numbers on it. Of couse when the #7 rod broke it also broke the cam.
    The 1691 is STAMPED into the end of the cam...right.....?

3. fanspete

fanspete

Yep, stamped. Twice, actually, above and below the centering 'hole'.
    Frustrating that very few companies want you to know who made(or at least sold) your parts!

4. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Actually I started my working years at a place called Wolverine Gear Old timers may remember Wolverine Cams Anyhow the dirty little secret was that most cams were made by one or two manufacturers. most of ours were made by Camshaft Machine in Jackson Mi. I would go to pick up a load and next to ours might be Crane or some other name brand. Later Wolverine started calling their cams Blue Racer. They were bought out by Crane just to eliminate some competition. So lots of cams just have a manufacturing ID# and no other identifying characteristics.