Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calling All Edsel Experts: Need Your Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MissPrint, Apr 26, 2010.

1. MissPrint

MissPrint

Hey Y'all!

Haven't been around much lately, as I've been working 2 jobs, but I am gearing up to start on paint and body work again this summer and need some help as I gather patch panels and the like.

Before I go on a metal spending spree, thought I'd ask for a little help/advice from the collective wisdom around here!

Wondering a couple of things:

1. Are the front fender opening of a 59 Ford and a 59 Edsel the same, or is the lip/edge different? Will a
    1959 Ford fender patch (a panel that covers the area on the rear of the front fender along the edge of the door) fit?

Like this ebay item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320399687203&_trksid=p2759.l1259

(Sorry, can't copy the pic, otherwise I would have done it that way)

I know Squawblow and Pistnbroke (if I remember correctly) had had problems with EMS patch panels in the past, and I'm trying to avoid too many "metal massaging" issues.

2. Does anyone know/had any dealings with RockAuto parts? (www.rockauto.com) or used Sherman panels? Any feedback would be welcome. . .

3. Anyone know of anyone who re-pops trunk floor pans for a 59? I've found numerous 58 re-pops, as well as the inner trunk fender well patches (which is what I really need), but nothing for a 59. . .

Very excited to get back on the journey to makin' my grrrl shiny, and I'm gonna try my hand at welding this summer (trunk most likely -- i.e. the place where no-one will see my novice attempts and crappy welds won't look so terrible awful!)

Thanks in advance for any advice or leads y'all have!

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

FYI, ladies have wonderful eye/hand coordination. You will be fine and laying down awesome welds in no time. Trust me. Have fun with it!

3. MissPrint

MissPrint

Or setting myself on fire, which I'm much more prone to!;):eek:

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'm just guessing, more likely than not...........

5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

seems to be close enough to make it work, , , ;)
    if it is a little different, i think a little gentle persuasion with the cutoff wheel, grinder, and welder would make it fit just fine.....:cool::D

Attached Files:

6. MissPrint

MissPrint

I love the HAMB.

I think it is the only place in the world where the words "gentle persuasion," "cutoff wheel," "grinder," and "welder" are used in the same sentence.

Ok, either the HAMB or a chat room for mobsters, maybe. . .;)

7. Squablow

Squablow

I made those pieces to fix my front fenders, can you post pics of the damage to yours? If yours aren't terrible, I'd consider making that piece. My experience with those dog leg patch panels is that even for the car it's supposed to fit, it needs to be cut and massaged and reworked to fit. I have a '59 Edsel and I had a '59 Fairlane, I really dont' think that lower dog leg replacement piece will be a direct fit.

I also would like to know if anyone makes '59 trunk panels. I'm sure those would be the same as '59 Ford car, but I don't know anyone making those pieces for either car. I get the feeling I'll have to make all of that stuff as well.

8. david j smith

david j smith

Don't the spare in an Edsel lay down and the Ford has a well on the right side? Then again, I ain't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

9. MissPrint

MissPrint

Brighter than me, obviously :D;)

Yup. Edsel spare lays down at the top of the trunk, right behind the rear seat.

Squablow -- I'm on the hunt, IF I find anything, I will let you know.

We're gonna start diggin' out the 4 inches of sculpted bondo at the start of June (once school is over with). I'll post pics when we get on it.

Just tryin' to get my proverbial ducks in a row. . .

10. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Wish I could be of some help, but haven't had any experience with any of the companies you mentioned. The good news is, you can make anything fit with the right tools. :)

Good luck on your hunt Frankie. I'm sure, with your determination, you'll get it all done without burning yourself up.

11. ryno

ryno

i just found 3 edsels in a guys field in sw mo joplin. he has a 2 door convert also. let me know what you need and ill se if he'll part on of them out or sale you a complete 4 door for cheap.

i just bought a 60 kingswood wagon from him for the wife.

12. Good to hear from ya Girl,,Friend. This rust stuff has kept me busy and paid many a house payment for me over the years. What I can say for sure is that NO patch I've ever bought for any kind of project has ever been a direct or correct repair. There has always been the need to make it right, Floors, rockers, fender patches. You name it I've done them. My customers don't want to hear, that's how the piece was made, if it isn't correct to factory. That has led me to not buy any from anyone anymore. My last lesson was on my 57 Ford being I get so little time on my own stuff. I was hopping to speed things up. "WRONG" I'll hand make them all so I only have Me to bitch about and keep going till things are correct. I'm also forced to make things metal correct, not corrected with Body Man in a Can.
    That's not what you want to hear. Being a beginner I feel sorry for you. Your headed for some fancy talking no matter what direction you go. The other side of the rust issues is that it's always more involved than you think once you cut the exposed damage open. The inner structure and braces are always in need of work also. No one makes those pieces. My advice is to just start with a good instructor and learn to build what you need from scratch. To bad we're on opposite ends of the map. I could use a summer helper and would gladly show you some tricks of the trade using your driver as a paitent. There must be someone in Texas willing to help you do it right. Like you tell your students, do your homework first. I know that's why your here. Wish I was more help. Find someone Good even if it means a little $$$. You'll be way ahead in the end.
    The Wizzard

Spooky likes this.
  13. CGkidd

CGkidd

As far as the spare the 59 Ford has a stand up spare versus the laydown of the edsel. I am not sure if the rest of it would be same or not. If you want I could take some pics of my ford trunk give me a PM is you want them.

14. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Dont know much about their patch panels, but rock auto is a good company

15. big M

big M

Personally, most of the aftermarket patch panel stampings I have purchased over the years have not fit well, and needed modification before they could be used. Nothing fits like OEM parts.

I have quite a few '59's out in the yard that are basically solid, but shipping on large panels that have to be sent truck freight is rather pricey. If you can find originals within driving distance to you, you will save extra hours in fitting them, and have a better finished product as well.

---John

16. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

Any progress MissPrint?

I bought rear floor panels from rockauto , poor fit, but i managed to
    install those, some hammering needed.

Just ordered 58 fairlane rear quarter panel, lip/edge is definetely different in Ford.
    Well I am talking about my 58 edsel .

www.kuumakyyti.com/elli58

Elli Edsel 58 Pacer coral-white

17. Join these two Edsel groups over on the Yahoo site

[email protected]

and

[email protected]

Best availiable Edsel information anywhere.

Great minds and nice guys.

They have really pointed me in the right direction more than once.

Oldmics

18. MissPrint

MissPrint

Progress on the '59 is at a grinding halt. No pun intended. She's running too good to tear into her again. . .

I've got two weeks off in March and I'm gonna tear into the '60, and see what really lurks under the paint.

Did a ton of research to find aftermarket patch panels for the '59 and found nothing, expressly nothing.

I guess we're just gonna have to make'em. :rolleyes:

And yup, Wizzard, got a couple of really good teachers around here who are gonna help out. We'll see what we're in for, this summer, after Round-Up is over. . .and then, if all the cosmic forces are aligned, I'll finally finish this freakin' paint job for the '59.

Oldmics -- I'll definately check out the groups -- thanks for the recommendation! Just not sure how well they're gonna respond to me doing mild Kustom work on Edsels :eek:

9 more days, until I get back out to the garage. . .not that I'm counting or anything. . .:D

Spooky likes this.