Register now to get rid of these ads!

calling all caddy motor gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vicksrods, Nov 8, 2009.

1. vicksrods

vicksrods

ok guys.
    I need help id'ing ths motor I think its a 331 or thats what I was told. also takea look at these "cool" modified valve covers to clear the adj. rocker arms they were cut open and leaded back they wiegh about 10lbs. apiece.

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a 51 or 52 331" Caddy.

3. jonnycola

jonnycola

Those rocker arms aren't stock.... I'd start digging into it. Who knows what's inside?

4. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You've got a kool engine there. A Cad 331 '49-54 with solid lifter conversion. Who knows what you will find inside. Mine has John's 11-1 pistons and an Engle cam. I had to dimple the valve covers to clear the adjustable rocker arms. Probably Studebaker. You can still find aftermarket speed equipment for them. Much was sold in the '50s. I just picked up another aluminum flywheel.

Attached Files:

5. 31modelo

31modelo

I thought the same thing but then thought who'd hop that motor up and leave the stock manifold. Still, I'd start diggin .

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Hey let us know what you find when you pull it apart. From where you live it might be an old white lightnin haulin engine.

7. vicksrods

vicksrods

Thanks for the replies. The story I was told is that it was an old race motor that was retired and put back into daily duty so the multi carb intake was sat aside and evetually thrown away. the guy was headed to the scrapyard with this when a freind of mine intercepted him. then i talked my buddy into selling it to me. I'll start the tear down this week and report back with what i find.