Register now to get rid of these ads!

calipers and wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mkrog1, Jun 7, 2010.

1. mkrog1

mkrog1
    from Austin Mn

What is the minimum space I can get by with between the wheel and the brake caliper.i have a 57 F100 that I put disk brakes on and the clearance between the rim and caliper is small.maybe 1/16th or so.I don't want the front wheel skipping down the street.Also has anyone used wheel spacers,the 1/4 in. ones

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Don't think there would be 1/16" flex in a wheel unless it meets a curb at speed.

3. mrforddude

mrforddude

I have been known to "clearance" a few aluminum wheels that "lightly" scrubbed the calipers. But to answer your question, if it doesn't rub you will be fine. What kind of wheels are trying to run? If you are trying to run the originals they are of course not designed to clear disc brakes. At worst you may want to try to find some different wheels...

4. If the wheel isn't dragging on the caliper you should be OK.

Drive it around the block and see if the wheel makes contact when you turn a corner.

I have taken early Ford wheels and put them on later Ford cars with washers for spacers and not had a problem.

I have also used genuine wheel spacers and not had a problem. You do have to make sure that your lugs are long enough you should have at least 1.5 threads sticking out past the lug nut when tightened down.

Also you will probably have to tighten the lug nutz a couple of times until everything takes a set.

5. mkrog1

mkrog1
    from Austin Mn

Thanks for the help guys.I didn't know how much if any flex the was in a steel wheel.These a stock 50's rims that I would like to run so I can use the 48-56 hub cap with the inside mount.

6. They "might" squeek a little bit when you stomp the brakes.

My old jeepster has disks and the old jelly been aluminum wheels. probably about that much clearance. They do mark off when you really put the WOAH to it.