Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects California registration question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lazer5000, Mar 9, 2010.

  1. Lazer5000
    Joined: Dec 7, 2007
    Posts: 729


    A couple of days ago I picked up a '46 Plymouth (impulse buy) locally with no title. I have all of the DMV "Power of attourney" forms signed by the previous owner, but there is also now VIN tag on the firewall.

    What is going to be my best plan of attack? And is the vin stamped anywhere else on the car/frame?

    Any help here would be appreciated.

    Thanks, Ryan.
  2. evintho
    Joined: May 28, 2007
    Posts: 1,907


    My advise would be to go to the local DMV (great way to kill 4-5 hours), tell the girl at information that you have questions about registering an older vehicle and to please hook you up with someone who's well versed in the subject. Explain to that clerk your situation and bring all paperwork and pictures of the car with you. Then let them tell you exactly what you have to do to register it properly.

    Ain't nothing about it gonna be easy! It's going to take some time and may get somewhat expensive. It's their ballgame. Learn their rules and play by them. Shortcuts don't work anymore! They're cracking down hard on scoflaws 'cause they need the $$.

    If all else fails, pitch a tent in front of DMV next January and register it as a Specially Constructed Vehicle and get your SB100 number!
    SPCNS & SB100 # for Calif registration
  3. hotrod40coupe
    Joined: Apr 8, 2007
    Posts: 2,562


    VIN numbers didn't come along until later. You probably have a frame number.
  4. on some of the old cars i did out there it was easyer to use a tital service

  5. Dave K
    Joined: Jan 31, 2006
    Posts: 344

    Dave K


    For a small fee they take care of the whole deal and you don't have to stand in line at the DMV for hours or chance saying the wrong thing to someone at the DMV and winding up in hot water.
  6. It's still a VIN, either way. Whether it is an engine number, frame number, or a vehicle number; collectively, they are all various forms of a Vehicle Identification Number to the state. Its purpose - to numerically identify the vehicle for ownership and legal purposes. Which number is used, matters not.
  7. Lazer5000
    Joined: Dec 7, 2007
    Posts: 729


    Registration is the one part of this hobby I was never able to wrap my mind around (that and electrical). There is a plate with a number on the drivers door, would that help?

    Does anyone have the name of a good title service?
  8. I recently bought a car from out of state, went to the Ca DMV for their "inspection" prior to registration. The "inspector" checked the engine# against the title, that was it. Not sure if that helps you though, since you have no title. They didn't check the firewall or door jamb tags.
  9. Lazer5000
    Joined: Dec 7, 2007
    Posts: 729


    Thanks. No engine though.
  10. BrandonB
    Joined: Feb 24, 2006
    Posts: 3,248

    from nor cal

    This link should help you out. I realize it is titled 1933 Plymouth, but it covers years up to around 1959.
  11. KJSR
    Joined: Mar 7, 2008
    Posts: 2,485

    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

    Are you sure there should be a firewall tag? Might there be a door jamb tag? That is where my 37' Plymouths tag is. And no matter where it is stamped, it is still a "VIN".
  12. ironfly28
    Joined: Dec 22, 2003
    Posts: 969

    from Orange, CA

    it's actually pretty easy if you have triple A. take your numbers to them (or even better a plate number) and ask them to give you a vehicle history. if it's off the books you just apply for title there and that will actually skirt you around the sheriff. then you put it on a non op until she's a driver.
  13. Lazer5000
    Joined: Dec 7, 2007
    Posts: 729


    Yeah, there's a little aluminum tag in the drivers door jam with a number on it. Is that the number I should put on the paper work?
  14. 2manytoys
    Joined: Feb 24, 2009
    Posts: 225

    from Fresno

    You must have an engine in the vehicle you want to register. Last time I was in the DMV office the clerk told me it also must have a trans in it too with most of the drivetrain parts in it. It doesnt have to run, just look like it does.
  15. 510madmav
    Joined: Dec 29, 2009
    Posts: 814


  16. Thats the one....
  17. tofords
    Joined: May 26, 2009
    Posts: 1,035


    listen to 510 madmav , Rich is the man .
  18. fat49chevy
    Joined: Sep 8, 2006
    Posts: 224

    from Onta Ca

    good luck with that dmv is a pain in the ass.
  19. Al Low Ha
    Joined: Feb 6, 2010
    Posts: 40

    Al Low Ha

    1st off, you're taking the wrong direction... remember that all cars drop off CA-DMV computers after 7 years. You could try with the new vin tag and you'll have a fight.

    OR........since you now know where the orig. vin is,get yourself an application for duplicate/lost title, find a pair of dmv clear vintage plates and register the old girl.

    Hasn't that car been sitting out in your parent's backyard for the last 20+/- years.....hint

    You are making this WAAAAY too hard. The less they(dmv) knows the better ALWAYS!
    I have gained brand spanking new pinkslips to....'many' cars in Calif....including a few I brought in from out of state...including my 47 Willys from N. Dakota. in 2005
    pm me if you like...
  20. 51PanelMan
    Joined: Jan 5, 2007
    Posts: 200


    My 37 Airflow has an engine ID number stamped on top of the engine block housing and a metal "Serial Number" tag on the hinge pillar post. The car is titled with a "VIN" from the engine block and not the serial number on the hinge post.

    Since you don't have an engine in the vehicle and the vehicle is off the DMV records, I'd register it under the tag on your driver's side door. The dumb data entry clerks at the DMV, including the so-called inspector, won't know the difference. Just don't go to the cops, especially the CHP.

    A few years ago, I bought my 51 Panel from Arkansas. Went to the busiest DMV in town. Got an inspector that couldn't tell his ass from his head. I pointed to the metal tags on the firewall and inside the glove box. They matched the title. I could have drawn the tag with crayons on pink paper and he still wouldn't have known any different.

    I agree with Al Low Ha. The less the DMV knows, the better off you are. Just act cool, calm and collected when you go to register it. Act like you know what you're talking about and you shouldn't have any issues. Lastly, take it to the busiest DMV near you. They'll want to get you out of there quick.
  21. KJSR
    Joined: Mar 7, 2008
    Posts: 2,485

    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

    X2- That is your vehicle identification number. There must be an engine in the car but it has nothing to do with the is just some rule the dmv has. I registered a car with a bare block laying in the compartment once.
  22. ron0257
    Joined: Sep 19, 2008
    Posts: 65


    Last September, I walked into DMV (WITH AN APPOINTMENT) with a bill of sale, request for title, and the rear plate off of an A-100 I had just picked up. I'm afraid I got the right clerk. He found the truck on the computer, even though it hadn't been registered since 2001. He looked up the fees, said $700 was too high, he was going to put in that he looked it up the day before (I know, but I guess thay can backdate it) so he could suspend the fees. I dropped $120 and walked out with my tags.

    All that being said, the title guy might not be a bad idea... Ron

    Joined: Jan 9, 2007
    Posts: 2,851


    Hey Ryan...good chatting with you...some good information here, some not so good. If you run into any snags give me a call...I'll come by soon to check out the coupe...
  24. The tag on the door jamb is a serial# that tells which plant the car was least with my 38 Plymouth Coupe. My engine block & a tag on the firewall start with "P6"...the body type, but both are different #'s, possibly an early engine swap.
  25. so iv been having troubles in california trying to get a tittle. i have a 29 ford coupe and dmv wont do anything for my, i also have a 53 studebaker in the same situation.

    can i just go to dmv and say i lost my tittle? i told them i bought the car with no tittle and they basicly would not help me anymore. now im only 23, can i still say i lost the title? will they screw me and say its impossible for me to have had it registered when i was 15? cause i heard after 7 years the car is off the system.
  26. 51PanelMan
    Joined: Jan 5, 2007
    Posts: 200


    Try "creating" a bill of sale and take it in with any other papers you have for the car(s). Make sure that the VIN from the car(s) is on the bill of sale. Make the bill of sale look legit. You might be able to get a new title in your name with the "created" bill of sale. Tell the clerk at the DMV that the prior owner lost the title.
  27. Some of this advise is just so wrong it is inconceivable, if you guys are going to tell someone to commit fraud it would most likely be better to do it in a pm. with the right info in hand it is a walk in the park, wrong info and you can open up a can of worms that can cost you a small fortune and a lot of wasted time, especially now that the state is trying to get every dollar they can!
  28. dannya
    Joined: Feb 17, 2011
    Posts: 14


    hey this girl can do it all and shes fast and she can do wonders at DMV. She has done all my cars and all my friends for over 10 years.
  29. newsomtravis
    Joined: Jun 1, 2009
    Posts: 562

    from pville, ca

    heres how i did my 52 buick with no title, find whatever number you can, vin on the body of frame, write it down, go to the damv, tell them you need a title, you have had the car in your yard for umpteen years, if young say family had it, they will give you forms to fill out, fill them out, you will need to bring an almost complete car, engine trans body frame to the dmv to have the vin verified, do not go to the cops, they will wanna check the numbers on everything, if the frame number and body number match, your long as you don`t get the cops involved, wich i did and he couldn`t find the frame number had to take the body off the frame for that...sucked......if its off the computer and family "had it, gave it" to you, the fees are very cheap......
  30. Didn't you post elsewhere that you do title work? Are you spamming yourself? :D

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.