Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cal, Fighting S.B. 1549 run to dean florez's office

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shoprag, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Shoprag

Shoprag

This monday from 9am to 11am we are gonna park in front of Dean Florez's office at 1800 30th street (corner of F and 30th), bring your cars and your signs. Atleast bring your self. 2morrow or friday I'm gonna call the news and also I'm gonna make flyers and try and hit all the shops and clubs, if someone else wants to make flyers or just let there friends know that would be appreciated. If you have any questions you can contact me at 661-340-7955, my names Lumpy.
    thanx and lets keep our babies on the road.

This is his local Bakersfield Ca office.

2. Lucky77

Lucky77

Awesome, go get 'em fellas!

3. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

whats the deal?i havent heard...

4. eric

eric

BTT, awesome that your getting out their and doing your part, showing our cars aren't gross polluters like they make them to be.

5. tragic59

tragic59

Good job. Please post some pics and add info after the fact on this thread...

6. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

hmmm,.no offence,,,but,i think more people should be worried about fighting oil prices at this time....

i was born and raised in so cal. and had a "hotrodded" car since i was 15...there was always a way around a smog check...

7. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

ahhh....i found the info for those that don't know......

Legislation (S.B. 1549) has been introduced in the California State Senate by Senator Dean Florez ([email protected]) to repeal the state’s current emissions test exemption for pre-1976 vehicles registered by new owners in the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District. The District includes eight counties in California’s Central Valley: San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, Tulare and the valley portion of Kern. Under the bill, after Jan. 1, 2009, new owners seeking to register a pre-1976 vehicle in these eight counties would be subject to emissions tests for the life of the vehicle. S.B. 1549 is scheduled to be considered by the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on April 1, 2008.

send him an email ......

will race cars be next?.....ha.

if i didnt have to work id make the drive from lake isabella..if it was on tuesday or wednesday id be there for sure........

8. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

There "was" always a way around a smog check, times have changed.
    10 years ago you give a smog guy an extra 50 bucks and you where good to go, those days are over.

9. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Go get 'em. It would be nice to also have everyone (CA residents) sign a petition. You know, so there is an idea of the "political sway" that these tax-paying hard working american voters have. Show em your muscle...you know.

10. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

really?

11. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I'd like to see some early 1900 something pass a smog test, last time I checked people didn't put enough miles on there old cars for anyone to worry about emissions. I'm sure they will try to use the excuse of the "poor" driving around in beat up clunkers but I don't think the poor can afford pre-76 "classic cars" more like late eighties shit box's.

12. Shoprag

Shoprag

If everyone shows up that says they are we should have a pretty good turn out.

13. Shoprag

Shoprag

I'm no artist or graphic designer but here is something we're gonna be passing out the rest of the week and weekend.

Attached Files:

• 1549.JPG
      1549.JPG
      File size:
      93.3 KB
      Views:
  14. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Dress professionally and present yourself well for the TV cameras and for the Emporer. Don't be a bunch of knuckle heads standing around drinking beer, looking like a bunch of menaces to society.

-Brad

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow-Thanks Shoprag for getting this all going. For a car nut it is an insult to propose this bill. Would be interesting to find out what the "true" motive ($$) is behind it.

16. Shoprag

Shoprag

Jalopy I'm sure they're afraid to go after the big corp companies with their political money, so they're coming after the little guys.

17. They need to redirect their efforts from old cars to farting cows.

A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs.
    The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled Live-stock's Long Shadow, also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame.

Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

18. tooslow54

tooslow54

Right on guys! I wish I could join.

19. I Drag

I Drag

I'm very skeptical that Ca even HAS records of typical emissions of the various gasses and percentages and such of cars like '23 Fords to use as testing standards. Huh. Really.

I'd show up with a crank handle bolted onto the damper face and tell the inspection guy to go ahead and start 'er up.

20. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I understand we don't want laws like this passed but, I wonder if showing up in multitudes in old Cars that aren't smog regulated is the right way to go about it. It's kinda like setting up a bar at the supporters of a prohibition rally. All you need is one smoking car to show up and it defeats the purpose. Just be careful that's all I am saying.

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Hate to say it but he's right ! The cleaner you make yourselves and your cars look,the more serious you will be taken. Show up with uncorked headers,straight pipes,torn up upholstery , etc and you will prove his point - at least in his mind. I would invite anyone you know with a vintage car, regardless of year of vehicle or age of the owners.

22. Searcher

Searcher

I'd be very carefull how you guy's represent yourselfs in front of the media and an elected official.
    Do your homework and don't panic. This is just a proposal at this time.

I'm a Calif. trucker and we are dealing with the Ca. Air Resoarses Board right now ( CARB ).
    They first said if you had a Heavy Diesel truck older then 1994 you would not be able to register it after Dec. 2009, if it couldn't be made to comply with their standards. Now it's 2013 after some fighting. We (the CDTOA ) joined forces with the Calif Chamber of Commerce promoting Ca. bussiness.

One way to fight proposals like this is by showing the economic impact and joining or starting a coalition to do so.
    That mean's everybody from Porsches to Street Rods to all old car people, Big organizations like Good Guy's, NSRA, etc, should want to fight this.

There's strength in numbers.

23. DrJ

DrJ

Good questions.

Even when they did test '66 and newer cars or cars known to have '66 and newer engines in them, (like kit cars,) every two years they didn't test '65 and older because there were no federal emission standards on those cars to make them stand up to.
    Doesn't mean they can't just invent some specs some day though, other states have (I think).

Follow the money!

Testing cars moves money from one pocket to another, and it's a game.
    You'd go through hell if your car flunked while plugged into the states computer so you would have the car "pre-tested" to make sure it would pass first and then adjusted to pass before making it official, but the test places would charge you double to do that!

When I had to "smog" my low annual mileage '73 MGB GT I'd pre-test it and since they were marginal dirty even new, Id do the pre-test so I'd spend as match to about a years worth of gas or insurance money just getting the fucking test done!
    And it always passed so it was money wasted!

Back in the '60s some asshole invented a "NoX kit", which was a glorified closed crank case PCV system, and sold it to the stupid State legislature and they then required this one monopoly company made and sold part to be installed on all pre-smog device car if and when it transfered title owner.
    After that you were supposed to keep it on the car...
    Well, about a decade ago the guy who made the part wanted to go out of business so he went back to the legislature and had them make it no longer required since it would be no longer available... :rolleyes:

The biggest :eek: of this is if they start opening the hoods of all the Muscle cars with the smog equipment removed because the owners thought they would never have to have them inspected again are going to have all the stuff reinstalled, if they still even have it!

by the way...
    Does Flores still drive a Hummer, or a super-size SUV?
    You guys should take him on a ride back to the Barrio and re-Educate him ;)
    He's obviously a BUPPIE in denial of his roots.

24. crashbox

crashbox

If you read the SB 1549 you will see there are exemptions for "collectable cars".

25. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

Yeah but who wants to read it? It's much more fun to be reactionary.

26. DrJ

DrJ

I've been trying to find this or the correct number bill to no avail. do you (or any one) have a URL to it?

27. Shoprag

Shoprag

Everyone we've talked to knows that we're not trying to go in like we're gonna muscle our point across. On the other thread I posted if you're gonna show up make sure you don't leave ur respect at home. We just want to make a showing letting him know that we don't approve of sneaking the pre 76 vehicle "smog check" into this bill. We are gonna have some old timers and some youngsters so we should be ok.

28. tragic59

tragic59

Sure. But who determines what's collectible? Remember the threads recently where the insurance companies were giving guys a ration of shit because their cars didn't have "paint"? I don't want some beurocrat deciding what makes a car collectible and what doesn't. Especially if they think it means more revenue if they exclude more vehicles than they allow...

29. tragic59

tragic59

Yeah. What were we thinking? I'm sure SEMA didn't bother to read the bill or consider it's ramifications on their membership's livelihood. I'm sure they were just being "reactionary" when they asked Kirk! to post that on the HAMB to rally some hobbyists against the bill.

30. Mad Dog Tattoo

Mad Dog Tattoo