Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cage Nuts for Boxing a Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimbousman, May 1, 2012.

1. jimbousman

jimbousman

Boxing the frame on my "A". Ran across this photo of cage nuts. Anyone know where I can buy some?

Attached Files:

2. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

reids hot rods in orange ca. has them. 714 769-1932.you could probably find them on your side of town though.

3. Buckster

Buckster

McMaster-Carr has a big selection of threads & styles

4. Roger53

Roger53

just give google a shoot you'll have all kinds to pick from .

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

You might be better off welding 3/8" coupling nuts to the top of your rails. They are about 1-1/4" long. Id cage nut rust up you'd be hard pressed to remove the bolts later, nuts have a tendency to spin in the cage. With the extra thread length of the couplers you'll have more to work with. Just a thought.

6. coupeman36

coupeman36

I weld a 1/2" x 1" x 1" piece of flat stock to the inside of the rail and drill and tap it, always works for me.

7. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

That's another better way. I wouldn't use cage nuts anywhere they can't be accessed.

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

9. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

Precision Coachworks
    Bellerica, MA

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a cage nut allows for slight alignment compensation in a factory production setting. not needed on a handbuild.

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I agree! You haven't lived until you have to remove one of them that is twisting inside of the cage.:D

12. JEM

JEM

...or the cage breaks and it falls away, or it rusts...admittedly probably not a problem with the average rod.

The other option is a rivet-nut, though I'm still trying to figure out how to justify the cost of a decent 5/16+ rivet-nut tool.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm not a fan of cage nuts for the reasons others have mentioned, like if the nut starts to spin inside the cage later on. We usually weld some thicker metal straps to the top or underside of the frame and drill and tap threads right into that. We also use a lot of antisieze on any bolts we run down into those threads, sure makes it easier to gt them back out years later.

Don

14. I would agree that cage nuts can be a headache so why not use "weldnuts" here is a link to a supplier in Ohio! http://www.on-b.com/nuts/dek-4.aspx i had them send me some and the sales guy said just about all the resto guys are supplied by them and your paying the mark up.