Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac Sedan Delivery????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by allengator, Dec 14, 2009.

1. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

2. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Never seen one, but I have seen a cadicamino(?).

Attached Files:

3. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

I still have a 47 Caddy hearse landau (no 1/4 windows) that would be a great starting point for you.
    Al

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Perhaps you could use a Pontiac Combination and add Caddy front sheet metal and quarters.

5. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

pics???

6. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

I wish the sheetmetal would line up on my 51 CHEVY SD !!! :(

7. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

here's a photo of my 53 Pontiac SD long gone

[​IMG]

you might have to add or remove some in the roof area then get the cardboard templete's and fit her up, the roof line can make or break the car

had a 53 Caddy hearse lined up once had the same idea hope your idea gets build

8. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Ask & ye shall recieve.

Attached Files:

9. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

those caddy's used to be built in witchita kansas at one time.

10. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I'm in lust.... that caddy is bad ass!!!

11. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

[​IMG]

yeah just fill in the sides

you could shorten it along with the frame

or use your delivery side panels and frame

or have a long frame delivery

you could call it the Final Delivery

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  12. Toner283

Toner283

That might be a flower car.

13. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

FINAL DELIVERY---I like that.....

14. Ice man

Ice man

My next door neighbor back in Pgh, had a 55 & a 56 Cad Station Wagon. Extreamly low mileage and to nice to mess with. They were not converted but were geni Wagons. The 56 had 2 4s and was a beautiful car. All leather inside. Close as you could get to a sdn delivery in a Cad. Iceman

15. H3O

H3O

closest, nicest one i found. it was on barrett-jackson

[​IMG]

16. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Wow, that thing really opens up wide on the sides, doesn't it?

17. Those were Hess and Eisenhardt conversions. They did 12 in 1956, and would do them to order in other years as well. Seems '56 was an attempt to make them kinda 'production'. The twin 4's was simply the Eldo engine, optional in all Cadillacs. Below is a shot of a '60, done by H & E. An associate had a clamshell Cadillac wagon some years back, dunno builder.

As for sedan deliveries, what you are looking for is a "service car" or "first call" car. This would be the car that a funeral home would use to bring the deceased TO the home to prep for the funeral. Not as large as a hearse, and no side doors, these were built by the same shops as the hearse and limos. They are quite rare, because only the upscale funeral homes could afford both a hearse and service car. Remember, a hearse would cost double what a Sedan De Ville would cost in any given year.

Lastly, any car that opens in a manner like that shown is known as a "three way", because the table in those cars could be moved about halfway out either door or the back, to facilitate loading, esp. in inner city homes where the car would be parked along the sidewalk. You could then load the casket into the side from the sidewalk instead of strictly through the back. Great source of screw thread motors, BTW.

Cosmo

Attached Files:

18. That is just wrong....

19. FuelFC

FuelFC

Al why did you have to post that? Dammit. Trying to thin my heard and now you give me more sick ideas. Do that loaded, leather, low and slow.

Potential potential...

20. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

something like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Good luck getting your hands on one of them.^^^^

22. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

Now that's just creepy looking. There's a Vampire somewere close to that baby....:eek:

23. I've never seen one of the sedan deliveries but here's a Hess and Eisenhardt woody wagon and a one off Brooks Stevens designed '53. The 53 back end looks a little Studebakerish.

24. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Streetwertz; It could be yours!!:rolleyes:

ZZ-Iron; I have a 70 Fleetwood frame to strech 2 ft. to match the 13 ft. wheelbase. That will set it low w/late model suspension & all set for a 500 cid.;)

Chevsotolac; I thought I had heard all possible names for a hearse. I will add Final Delivery to the list.:D

Shmoozo; 7 1/2 ft. pillar to pillar. You could drift a ricer thru it at 90 & not touch a thing.:D

Fuelfc; Refer to the above answer to Streetwertz.;)

Like Whichitaundertaker said.. Good luck finding a carved panel that is both alive (no pun intended) and available.

AL:cool:

25. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

Loose the wood... and fill in those windows and that is exactly what I have in mind!!!!

26. Photochop from a while back...

[​IMG]

27. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

now that's a cool look with the 500 Caddy Al you can haul ass

28. Home Brew

Home Brew

That would be a great race car hauler. When I was much younger, a neighbor used a 55 Pontiac flower wagon to haul his flat tracker.

29. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

30. original patina

original patina
    BANNED
    from Texas

Cosmo's (entire) post is mainly spot-on.

Minor additions: Service cars were indeed the same size as other coaches initially - having all been built on extended commercial chassis. Downsizing service cars to regular wheelbase occurred in the early '50s - as they started to fall out of popularity. About then the switch was made from the more impressive makes (Cadillac, LaSalle, Packard) to more readily attainable service cars based on Chevy, Ford, etc. Low production numbers in any given year (going back to the '30s) finally came to end end in the early '60s.

Although the 5 main coach builders (4 from '57 onward) did tailor vehicles to their customers, none offered a standard wheelbase Caddy 'sedan delivery'. Not to say that a one-off wasn't made by a smaller professional car coach builder or an individual along the way but if it happened by the hands of Eureka, Meteor, Miller, S & S, or Superior - at least pictures would survive. Each is pretty heavily documented.

Superior made stripped down basic ambulances for both the American and Canadian military that did not have additional side doors. One of these would provide a good basis for a conversion:

[​IMG]

The non-rusty example below was available (non-running) with the original 331 last year in south TX for a whopping $500.

[​IMG]