Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cadillac flathead horsepower tricks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 38FLATTIE, Feb 7, 2009.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You would pin the cracks and then bore the seat and install a hard seat. Gets pricey.

2. whisky runner

whisky runner

hi..too bad about your block..i have a couple of those engines already ..the one i am still using..i think i talked to you already.. i was traveling thru Illinois a while back with a engine in the back of my truck and a guy came up to me and asked if i need anymore of those caddy flatheads..he said he had 2 he would sell cheap..i guess i wont ever get back with him so maybe i should pass this on ... email me and i will give you the contact info he gave me.... [email protected]

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Rich, I'll do that if I don't come up with a good block. I've got a '48 bought in Georgia- we'll know after it's 'fluxed!

4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Go to a place that repairs heavy machinery - tugboat engines (all right, maybe not in Colorado) or castings for heavy machinery. When your big-ass piece of equipment gets a crack, you don't go to the big-ass junkyard. You call these guys. They can repair cracks like those in your motor.

The serendipitous thing about this is that these fellows get tired of repairing giant cylinder heads all day. Something as cool and delicate as a flathead Cadillac motor is a nice change of pace for them. They might not charge you at all, or maybe like $100.

I have taken this approach several times with antique or unusual automotive parts, and it has always worked.

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Maybe I need to move there, cuz it doesn't work like that out here!

6. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Really? :( What type of shop do you visit, and how do they handle you?

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I saw on the Bay some guy has Edmunds heads and intake for sale. Looked reasonable. Lots of neet stuff. I bid on one thing. Not for a Cad.

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Rich, when are you going to put a Flatcad in that Vega, and go after the record?!

You could use another record, I know you can!;)

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

136.494 blown. 184.149 blown. It might work blown.

10. I thought 320 inches was the limit for vintage class?

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Brian, I believe the class is XXO/BGAlt, and I believe this is the record holder, raced by Hart - Collison, and driven by Richard Collison.

I may be wrong though!

Attached Files:

12. I just want to thank all of you FlatCad guys. I'm trying to buy a '40 LaSalle(I'm leaving it stock) right now and wondered if anyone even cared about old Caddy flatheads. DANG! was I surprised! Y'all have got me "flippin pages"
    Thanks again,
    Tim

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

320 is the limit for "X" class. I think "XX" goes up to 375 inches.

14. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Keeper, I just revisited your site. I like the new design! I see you started a build thread there.

When are you going to start that flatcad build on the HAMB?:D

15. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

I was waiting until I had gotten a good start on the build. I don't want to start a thread and show the sad two or three things I have done so far. But maybe I will get it going soon.

16. Hey fellas, I just bought a '40 LaSalle with a 322 3spd. Are these engines
    basicly the same as Caddys or completely different? I'll be happy just taking it around the block this year but, when I start to "make it my own" I'd like to know what if anything is interchangable. I don't need a full on racecar but someday just a healthy, hard pullin' flathead that sounds good. I'm a 50 year old virgin when it comes to flatties so any info. about them will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim

17. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Tim,

They are the same engine with a different bore. Everything, to my knowledege interchanges.

Ask your questions-someone will be happy to answer!

Welcome to the Flatcad club!

18. "Ask your questions-someone will be happy to answer!"

Cool, where are you in Colorado, we've got kids in Littleton & Lakewood?
    BTW I've got about 2 weeks before the "40 gets hauled up to the house, I can't wait to see & touch my own FLATHED V8!

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Hey Tim, welcome aboard, this is definitely the place to be for Cadillac flathead stuff.
    About the 322 engine, I read an article a year ago on the internet and it stated that the NYC mafia prefered the 322 Lasalle over the 346 Cadillac engine as a get away car as it was more reliable and a better performer.
    I have a 346 which I have sleeved back to 322 as I believe I can claw back any lost cubic HP by modern technology thru exhaust, carby and ignition modifications. I also believe it may rev better.

It dont really matter both will run 100mph stock in either body.
    Best wishes, Russ.

See you in CO sometime.

20. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well, come by and visit. I'm 60 miles north of your kids, in Greeley.

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

In my book the 322 is a better engine to run just from the little that I have read.
    However like you I am still learning.

22. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

I picked up the sedan body I was looking for last night so I decided to finally start a build thread, not much Flathead Caddy stuff on there yet but there will be soon enough.

Flathead Caddy - Model A

23. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Kevin, It looks like you've got a great start on an awesome build!

I spoke with a gent last night that keeper made solid lifters for. I thought I had a good handle on my build, but this guy is miles ahead of me!

Procharged motor, with 14lbs boost, head studs, crank girdle, custom made flywheel- all to run at Bonneville in a roadster. I'm hoping to get him to post pics, because this is a helluva build! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

24. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Remember these qoutes? Well, I decided that if I'm going to talk the talk, and all that....

Sooo, I've decided that the only way to do it justice is to run it on the salt, and find out if it's as badass as I think it will be. You're going to see this thread sidetrack a little, as we get the car ready for Bonneville 2011!

Of course, I've never ran there, so any tech advice from EXPERIENCED VETERANS is welcome!

25. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

I love that idea and will be following your progress very closely.

26. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Just a quick update on engine parts.

The billet flywheel weighs 29lbs, so there is a 19.5lb savings there.Aluminium rods weigh 1.55lbs, versus the stock 2.2lbs.
    Not sure yet on forged pistons.
    A tunable dampener can be had from ATI. They have my specs, so it should be easy for you.

I was getting a custom flywheel made, and wanted/needed a new starter ring gear. I finally found some NOS ones at Then and Now Automotive. Call Mike Casella there, and he can fix you up.

27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Buddy, I like the sound of those aluminum rods.

28. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Damn, I think the solid gold ones are a little cheaper!:D

BTW-I'm looking for a set of flathead 346 tank heads. I'm looking for the ones that say 'Cadillac', if anyone knows of a set.

Attached Files:

Hank37 likes this.
  29. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

I just called a guy about some heads, said he had a bunch. But none with Cadillac on them. I plan on going with Cyclone's but if you happen to find 4 let me know, might be a while till I have enough cash for Kevin's.

30. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Will do! Wanna borrow the dual plug heads until then? I think for the high HP mill, I'll be better off with steel, as they won't lose as much heat. Heat= hp, and I need every edge I can get!