Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac conversion:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irish Dan, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Is there a website where I can find a standard shift conversion kit for a 472 Cadillac mill? I'd like to run either a Borg Warner T-10, Muncie 4 speed, or top loader Ford 5 speed. Any info would be helpful.

2. brocluno

brocluno

Most later Caddy cranks were not turned/drilled for a pilot bushing or bearing. You'll have to have that done before you can run a stick.

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

Don't have a link to a website, but I think you would be able to use a stock Pontiac, Buick, or Olds bellhousing as they share a pattern with Cadillac. The problem will be the flywheel since Cadillac never offered a manual trans 472. Something else you may want to check -- since no manual trans was offered, the crank may not be machined for a pilot bushing.

Bob

4. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback!

5. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

A Pontiac bellhousing will bolt right on. I used one earlier this year on a 500 and the only modification needed was a very slight reaming on the right side hole for the locator dowell. Buick and Olds bellhousings will fit too, but I'd think much harder to find than the Pontiac. You can also run a Chevy bellhousing with an aftermarket adapter, but that is an unnecessary expense unless you really have trouble finding a bellhousing. I sold a number of Pontiac bellhousings earlier this year and the going rate is $85-$100. Sometimes see them at smaller swaps for as little as $50.

You can get a new billet steel flywheel for the 472/500 cranks that will accept common GM 10.5" and 11" clutches for about $325 from the Caddy performance aftermaket suppliers.

Ditto on the crank machining being a possible issue except there is absolutely nothing wrong with making a bronze bushing and fitting it in the crank pilot. I've done that with unmachined Pontiac cranks from big car AT applications and it works fine. I had one made from scratch at a local electric motor machine shop and it cost $10. If you had a running motor that you didn't want to pull apart to machine the crank, the bushing is certainly worth a shot.

6. QMOTOX

QMOTOX
    from STL, MO

http://www.mtscadparts.net/servlet/the-48/Flywheel--dsh--Billet-Steel/Detail

MTS and others sell the flywheel and like said above you'll need to machine a pilot bushing.

Be carefull with the clutch and gas pedals. The big caddys make a lot of torque even in stock form. If it's going in a heavy car or you manage to get some good traction be prepared to have a spare trans nearby.

7. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

Here's another Cad performance parts source. I just noticed they sell pilot bushings. That's just too easy.

http://www.cad500parts.com

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER