Register now to get rid of these ads!

cadillac 331 marine?Q

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marq, Feb 17, 2006.

1. marq

marq

Anyone know anything about caddy 331 marine engines?i have a chance of a pair.Can they be converted easily?what sort of power output are they ?are they reliable?[​IMG]

2. marq

marq

bttt

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The only problem I can think of is that some engines set up for marine use turned the opposite direction of their passenger car counterparts. Are those aluminum valve covers?

4. skootch

skootch
    from el lay

not to sure what they put out as far as power. but its pretty noteworthy. other than that they are great motors.

5. marq

marq

don't know on the covers,what way should the engine rotate?can't seem to see a fuel pump in the pics either so don't knowwhere it should go................Marq

6. skootch

skootch
    from el lay

not to sure what they put out as far as power. but its pretty noteworthy. other than that they are great motors.

7. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

I know in twin engine applications one engine rotated clockwise, the other counter-closkwise. I believe this was to counteract the torque movement.

So, the question will be did they both come out of the same boat?

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if it turns counter clockwise, have new cam ground for it and off you go...

9. jonnycola

jonnycola

Those valve covers are badass.....

You should be able to put an early 331 fuel pump oil fill tube/breather on there... The year will determine what kind of power they make. I think the 49-50's made like 160... and the 55 331 made something like 250-260. But who know's what kind of guts are in that motor...

If you're thinking of selling those valve covers, timing cover, or maybe that oil breather, I'd be very interested.