Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs caddy roadster High School shop build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Nov 8, 2017.

1. it has the jetaway trans
    the 429 turns, we will try to start it soon but those motors have very little speed stuff available
    I have a 331 Hemi tucked away I have been saving but would like to keep all GM if possible. I would prefer not to use the jetaway. Trans adapters are available for a th350/400/700r.
    It also seems that the only cam choices are regrinds, seems like the 429 may be more trouble than its worth especially when I can do the Hemi for about the same money

I dont know the official name for this type build
    a member here, plowboy, has built some very creative and well built cars like this
    look up Atomic Punk car when you get a chance

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. hadn't thought about doors until I seen the concept by themoose
    I wouldn't want them to extend all the way down, maybe 2/3rds down similar to an E type jag
    we we kicking around a crazy hard top idea where the side glass would slide down and the roof would fold up butterfly style, then climb over
    one student asked about gullwing style doors like a 500sl
    who knows what will happen

a mid 60s Vette/Caddy hybrid?.......hmmmmmmm

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good sir.Sounds like some ideas are starting to come to the surface.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

4. I like this roof design and style
    corvair.jpg

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In the late 1950s an in to the 60s,this style of hot rods was called "Cut Ups". I do like them,when done with flow vs just hacked up .
    As for front fenders going smoother in to rear sides,you could try making them stay fairly stock,except to pie cut n blend at front about 3 or 4in. back from headlights=fender s are closer to together /inside front tires at front,but headlights still face forword/not crosseyed. Doors are normely jump in,,not any! If a top is used,make filp up "T" tops for getting in an out

6. thats the plan
    its an exercise in flow and proportions
    it fist started as a 'what can we do with this roached caddy'
    the mock up of the pieces was a 'how can we arrange these roached caddy parts into something cool'
    now its in the research mode, what past influences will we use to decide how these pieces will fit together

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Anthony, here is something along the lines of what you have in mind. I remember the color combinations back then were pretty wild. Ed Roth was one of my favorite car guys back then.
    10 '64 Caddy cutup concept done.jpg

8. That hemi could be a big portion of GM parts.
    BBC water pump
    GM internals in the distributor
    Some Pontiac rotating internals
    BBC valves
    And a big ass GMC Blower
    GM/carter carbs

9. thats crazy
    Cyclops on steroids
    Students will love this tomorrow
    thanks

thats exactly how I want the front suspension to look
    I also have some old slots to run in back
    nice windshield treatment
    we got a lot of thinking to do

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  10. I got a good head start on the hemi
    a 727 adapter plate plus the factory auto spacer, I have seen these used as well to adapt a mopar auto
    new pistons and rebuilt heads
    pulleys and brackets
    the last time I was in our diesel shop we had an extra 671 blower from an old Detroit.....hmmmmmmmm
    I also have a bunch of sbc stuff, we were thinking about locating a bbc for the school bus and use the 350 we have in the bus for the Caddy. Runs great, I have 2 multi carb options for it, we would add a much bigger cam though

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I honestly started to post that pic on this thread a few weeks back, I like it too.:D
    .....or maybe I did before the shut down and it got lost, not sure:D

12. Just had several students pass their ASE certifications
    one of the motivations for them earning this was to be able to spend a lot of time on this Caddy and a model T we have
    looks like we will need to get busy after the holidays

13. lots of top options
    we did a drawing with a top like this, looks killer
    a student asked how would you enter the car with no doors and a roof like this
    we though for a while and came up with side glass that would roll down, then fab the roof to fold up in the center, kinda like hinged t-tops but cool
    sounds interesting

14. students really liked the pic
    thanks for the work
    we started re thinking the grill area, might try to use just 2 headlights but that will narrow the front a good bit.
    We will have a good idea hopefully by the end of January how this will shape up

15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I like the concepts that somehow encase at least parts of the rear tires. I have toyed with ideas like this for years. Getting something like that titled here in Wisconsin would be a major pain and I would want to drive the hell out of it. But it is still a cool idea and a great opportunity for your students. I am self taught and my teacher was an idiot! Your students are lucky that there is a program like this , wish there would have been one 45 + years ago! Larry

16. I am lucky here in Alabama, I can register it as a 64 Caddy
    just need the notorized bill of sale from the person I bought the car from
    we have not ruled out some type of fender, maybe something similar to Roth's Beatnik Bandit
    beatnick bandit.jpg

Donuts & Peelouts, slv63 and loudbang like this.
  17. greybeard360

greybeard360

You sure it's a Jetaway ? Early 62 series had a Hydramatic, later ones and all DeVille's had Turbo 400.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Donuts & Peelouts and loudbang like this.
  18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks Anthony and pass it on to your students. Their enthusiasm is a big motivator. I'm going to do a straight on front shot that should better reflect the photoshop. Hope to have it in a few days. Eli

19. The reverse is in the wrong spot for a 400 haven't pulled it yet but looks like a jetaway

loudbang likes this.
  20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Anthony, Happy New Year to you and your students. Here is the front shot I promised, changed up a bit from the first rendering. Hope this is close to what y'all have in mind. Eli
    Oh yeah, paved your driveway too. :D
    20a. 64 Caddy concept anthony myrick done.jpg

21. thats crazy
    love it
    thanks
    will show the students after the holidays

22. we gonna have to really think about how to pull this off
    I am starting to like this a lot

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to side track this thread, but kudo's to your students for passing their ASE Certs! Says a lot for the program you have. We need our high schools to produce skilled technical graduates not just the college track students some of which never finish and have no marketable skills with nothing to show but a boat load of student loans. JMO

24. thanks, one student has 3 out of the 4 for a master tech level
    another has 2

brEad, chryslerfan55, slim38 and 2 others like this.
  25. Plowboy

Plowboy

I too built weird stuff because I couldn't really afford a decent hot rod body. Now that I am working on more "normal" stuff, I don't have the motivation to finish anything. ha ha I look forward to seeing the progress.

26. I blame your creations for this current project (and Ed Roth)

brEad, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  27. we did a mock up with the single duel headlight set up
    didnt look exactly like we thought it would
    did another with both dual head lights pinched in a lot
    looks cool
    students preferred it over the single dual
    will try to post a pic soon

28. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I'm liking the whole " Cut up" style a lot. A little to much.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad likes this.
  29. I got bit by the bug years ago. Been looking for a suitable donor for years. Suitable meaning something I didn't mind ruining.
    This one was bad. Fixing to send off the speedo to a needy caddy and the rest of this car will probably end up with a local guy fixing up a 64
    At least it didn't turn into a washing machine.

30. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

loudbang likes this.