Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cabel driven wipers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thejim, Sep 15, 2009.

1. thejim

thejim
    from Wisconsin

Well i just picked up my new ride, 54 chevy, and the cables for the wipers are just hanging under the dash. What i am trying to figure out is how to hook the cables up properly so they work. Can't seem to get the cable placement right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And yes power wipers are on my to do list for next year.

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Those work off of vacuum and usually don't do it vey well. On my 55 I ended up buying 2 marine wiper motors and with just alittle massaging they worked out and only for 70 bucks for the pair. They are strange to try to figure out because the cable actually pulls both together only in opposite directions and after deciding they were junk imo, I went with electric. Good luck

3. I use Rain-X,,,no wipers. HRP

4. scdrewfus

scdrewfus

im in the same boat. im hitting the junk yard this week. ill let you guys know what i come up with. i live in the humid south. it rains a lot here. so i gotta figure something out

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I don't know what 54 Chevy wipers were like, but I did a tech thread on rebuilding cable wipers a couple months back. May be similar, I don't know?

6. You best have a shop manual to do it right. The 54 wipers are very much like the 5-7 chevies. You can use the 5-7 vacumn are the electric unit. The cables must go around the drum in a correct sequence. Then they work like a champ. IMO

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Here is the page from a 57 chevy service manual. You can't get the cables right without this page. Good luck, hope this helps I electric wipers in my 57 and they work good.

Pat

Attached Files: