Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ca Special Construction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkamort, Jan 2, 2012.

1. unkamort

unkamort

Tomorrows the big day.... I'm up at 5, nose on the glass at 8:00. Trying not to screw up the forms now. Anybody else ready to sweat this out?

2. Cerberus

Cerberus

Went through the process last year, 1-3-2011. First one at the door before DMV opened. Twenty minutes later, I left DMV with a SB100 (special construction) number. Sacramento DMV approved it! Good luck. Oh, Concord DMV has a young gal in her 20's who claims to be an expert on SB100 applications. I'm a believer! She is Concord's DMV go-to-person for SB100. As you probably know, only 500 Special Construction vin numbers are issued a year. May the Force be with you.

3. unkamort

unkamort

Thanks guy... good to know there are 'survivors' who lived to tell the tale

4. badshifter

badshifter

Good Luck! I'd be in line at 5:00! You want to be first through the door. Don't forget a pen, note pad, check book or cash, no c/c at the DMV. Be nice to the people, even when they screw up!

5. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Kinda hate to tell you but I got Number 2011-447 on the 15 of December.

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

UNKAMORT,Other members may wonder. So in answer to your pm, it cost me a total of $595.00. I declared a cost on the vehicle to be only, I presume you know how that goes, to be $3,800.00.:D After doing the math, it seems like DMV is charging approx $250 in SB100 registration fees based on the info I gave them, the rest was for sales tax (about $345).

7. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

i was able to score a 'h-historical d-o-c b4 they were outlawed..
    otherwise i might be in your shoes, good luck, post feedback,
    others still need to go where u r goin or have gone:cool:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  8. unkamort

unkamort

You jive! Really? I'v been in there twice since November trying to get my ducks in a row and they told me all the numbers were gone...but they didn't call or anything. Any thing out of the norm freaks these gals out.

9. evintho

evintho

Good luck, brother! I did it myself in 2009. By 10am I had #90.

10. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I was doing the same thing. Let's just say I was interviewing different offices to get the answers I wanted to hear, and make sure my paper work was correct in anticipation of doing what you are planning. Found an office that gave me good info and found out that they still had numbers left. I can only assume that the economy has had an effect. However you should do exactly as you have planned because just like me and you nobody knows they didn't use up all of the SPCNS numbers last year. Also I think that they are re-implementing the AMNESTY thing starting tomorrow so numbers may go quicker. Good luck.

11. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

and why do you have to have a(special construction) is it a bike?? or a glass body car??

12. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

its one option if you have no title,,

13. Cerberus

Cerberus

There is a host of reasons to apply for SB100 "Special Construction." Let's say you buy a Experi-Metal (supplier of 57 Chevy steel bodies)1957 Chevy Convertible body mounted on a Morrison Chassis, the assembly does not come with a VIN number. In California to get it titled you must go thru the SB100 "Special Construction" process. The vehicle must pass the California lamp and brake inspection.The CHP will then install a Blue Tag or VIN number on it. Then, back to the DMV to finish the registration process. Below is a pix of the Experi-Metal '57 Chevy before and after build. If the CHP feels the vehicle replicates the original by 80% or more it will then be titled as that year model. In this case, the '57 Chevy Convertible would be registered as a "1957 Special Construction. " The mention of Chevrolet would not be appear on the title or paper work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  14. unkamort

unkamort

Its' sitting on Alston pro gas frame rails, no VIN# on the cab. Already been down to CHP, got a VIN# so I should be 'in the system'

15. Berky

Berky

I went through the process about 6 years ago for a Cobra kit. I was the third in line at the DMV with the other two there for the same thing. It was very nerve racking as the supervisor was the only one that knew about the SB process. The phone at the Sacramento DMV was ringing off the hook and I had to leave with out my number, but I had a promise of a call back. At about 2:30 they called me to tell me I got my number (thank God).

I flew back to the DMV and paid my fees. The rest of the process was pretty easy. CHP for the VIN assignment and local college for the smog official. About a week later I went back to the DMV and got my plates.

Good luck. I think they ran out of numbers in two days when I went through this.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Man, they really put you guys in California through the hoops, don't they? 500 cars a year seems so low for a State with so many cars.

Don

17. unkamort

unkamort

California in general, and SF in particular, has become a very unfriendly place for the cars we like. The green meanies are at the top of their swing. I'm honestly afraid that this deal may not be here next time around.

18. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Yea, over 24 million cars in CA. That is why people go to the DMV at 5AM on the first business day of the year.

Actually there is no limit to the number of Special Construction titles per year, but they are titled as the current year and must meet the current year emission standards. Only the first 500 that qualify for the SB-100 SPCNS can get the Bureau of Automotive Repair exemption for emissions. After that your flathead or hemi or 303 Olds, BBC...... ad infinitum must meet current year emissions standards. Obviously they can't thats why it is critical.

19. filthy frank

filthy frank

wow ! im glad i have a plymouth that has a vin tag instead of a ford !

20. unkamort

unkamort

I got it! #091 by 9:00am

21. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Maybe they don't take credit cards, but they do take debit cards, have for quite a while, even have a PIN tablet on a cord to put up on the counter for you. Never tried a credit card

22. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Congrats. How many applicants were at your DMV?

23. Cerberus

Cerberus

Great news. Were/are you required to pass a lamp and brake inspection? WOW! Those first 91 SB100 #'s went fast! At that rate the first 500 numbers would be gone in six hours.

24. unkamort

unkamort

Yes, brake and lamp. Funny that they would want that first, I'v got till Feb finish wiring the dash. They want it weighed because its' a truck. Also need to make a date with the smog Ref. Then it has to be taken back to DMV for VIN verification. Can't blame anybody who might think Ca is screwed when it comes to this kind of stuff.

25. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

holy crap,that seems like a pretty stressful deal out there.is the smog deal for the year car or the special reg?

26. Hey congrats man, seems like a long time in coming, so you're finished building that truck I take it ?

27. unkamort

unkamort

Really, really close. A bit of wiring to do yet. I haven't worked out a gas pedal, but may end up with some sort of cable control. Hey... want your rods back? I was gonna speak up on the carnage thread, but why add to the pain

28. Cerberus

Cerberus

Read your recent DMV paperwork thoroughly. DMV required I have the VIN verified within 30 days of receiving the SB100 number or I would forfeit the $594.00 I paid, and would have to start the process over again the following year. I had a VIN verifier come to my house and verify the VIN and then received an official certified embossed document with an approved Sequence Number from Sacramento. Why DMV requires a Bureau of Automotive Repair inspection is beyond me.:confused: The first 500 SB100's for "Special Construction" end up being SMOG exempt vehicles in the end and don't have to have smog equipment installed, or ever be smog tested again.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  29. JEM

JEM

So, to clarify -

Did your vehicle have some sort of VIN provided by the body or frame mfr, or was the VIN to be verified the one that is attached by the CHP after the SPCN is issued?

If the latter, that'd seem...atypically bureaucratic even by California standards.

30. Ha ha, weren't those big block rods ? Those wouldn't fit ! lol