Register now to get rid of these ads!

CA lost title SNAFU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Katuna, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Ok CA DMV experts, I have a question for you on a title. This requires airing a little family dirty laundry so bear with me. I'd rather not bring this stuff up but I can't find an alternative.

I've combed through the DMV website to no avail. I would like to get some input from you guys first before I attempt to speak with a "human" there.

Back in the mid 90's, "bought" my grandfathers 37 Chevy coupe. This was a kitchen table deal for $1, mostly to irritate my grandmother (from my g'fathers end anyway). The car stayed in his possession as I had nowhere to put it and he was tinkering with getting it running after 40 years of being laid up in his old chicken coup.

Jump ahead 10 years or so. My g'mother had passed away and my g'father was still at home. One night he had a briefcase stolen from his Cad parked in the garage that he forgot to close. He lived way out in the country on his raisin grape ranch. Among other important papers, a Luger he brought back from Europe and a $10,000 dollar bill (yes, you read that right) were the pink slips for the 37, a 51 Jag roadster and his 3 other cars. He was lucky as the Sheriff found a claw hammer and another sharp instrument in the vineyard that they believed were going to be used to...well you know.

My father was in charge of having all the pinks replaced and, as far as I knew, all had been. A bit of time later I found he had never done this on the 37 but had done the others (one of a multitude of reasons I don't talk to me family anymore). I had moved the car into storage for safe keeping as the ranch was empty and thing were beginning to grow legs.

Now, 20 years later I'm sadly in need of moving the car along. A bill of sale in CA isn't very enticing to buyers, of course. I'm trying to see what options I have, if any. The only paperwork I have is one 1950 registration card. My name is the same as his, as well as my fathers. I'm only 51 so I'm a little young to pass off having owned the car in 1950!

So, what's your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. deucemac

deucemac

Pm me I might have a solution

3. BJR

BJR

Since essentially your name is on the registration card, can't you just file for a lost title? If you do it by mail how would they ever know it's not you on the registration. The title doesn't have your age on it.

4. You know the saying that free advice is worth every cent you pay for it. Having said that if your grandfather still alive, assuming it was in his name, he could apply for a duplicate title. If your grand father is deceased the executer of the estate should be able to apply for a duplicate title. On the surface it doesn't sound like there is a problem, unless the other heirs want to claim it should part of the estate (nothing like money to tear a family apart).

Charlie Stephens

5. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Instead of walking into DMV, (and waiting forever) I'd use a Registration Service to first check to see if that title is in the State DMV system. People sell titles for old cars all the time from just about every state in the Union. The stolen title for your '37 might have been sold, and used to register another car. I think you'd be able to explain things (as least as possible) to someone at the service and get better results than the DMV.

I had to apply for a 'Duplicate Title' to replace one that was lost. The title that was lost, was in the name of the registered owner of the car I just bought. So, when I applied for the duplicate title, it was updated and issued in my name. This was along time ago, (in California) but I'm sure I had to show ID. Anyway, it's already in 'your name' and the service may not notice or care about any potential issues with dates.

Being that you're in Clovis, I'm sure you know Ellie. In years past, I've always had good service from her, even if it takes a little while. I heard about a year ago, that service "wasn't so good, as it used to be". I don't know. Anyway, a registration service like her's is what I'm talking about. I think it's worth the money in cases like this...

6. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Sorry, I guess I missed explaining that about a year after the title was stolen that he passed away(I was in the ER trying to deal with a kidney stone this morning when I posted the above. I'm amazed it's as coherent as it is). I have no contact with my parents (the executors) so that would be a dead end.

Sanford, who is Ellie? This is my first foray into dealing with title issues.

7. I am sure it is out of the system, so just apply for lost title. Name matches, so don't get caught up in any administrative BS. No need to show the old reg unless something goes wrong, which knowing DMV they can come up with numerous ways for things to go wrong. If out of the system, you will just need to fill out some form to state that the car has been stored inside a garage or barn, and was off the road for all those years you have owned it.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

id say lien sale. Dont know how that would work with the same name.

9. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

It's been a couple of years since I've used Ellie's services. She's in Fresno. PM Royalshifter for her contact info, and if she's even in business anymore.

Like Junk Yard Kid said...a lien sale might be a good idea. Someone I know did one about a year ago. I can't remember the details, but you publish the 'sale' in a local paper or two, you know, in the 'Announcements' section that nobody reads. You conduct the 'sale' for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning, and if I remember correctly, if nobody else bids to buy it, or even shows up to your 'very well publicized sale' it's pretty easy to obtain legal ownership to the car, already in your possession. Or, something like that...

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

might try Donna Leek 530-320-5708 - [email protected] - Sacramento area - specializes in Classics, problem registrations, etc

11. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

If the vehicle in question is worth less than $4,000 in California you dont have to publish in any newspapers. There are lien sale companies that can walk you through it....most nearby auto shops would know of someone. Since itll likely be off DMV computers you pick who gets notified of the sale. Just make sure that the lien sale guy is cool...they have been known to tip a friend off of interesting lien sales. If someone does show...you cancel the sale.

12. badshifter

badshifter

If it is out of the system, all you have to do is fill out a statement of facts that you lost the paperwork, they may ask for a Vin inspection by the CHP pay your fees and be on your way. They will want to know if the vehicle has been on the road at all since last registered, no, has it been stored on private property yes.

All of the family secret and drama is just complicating the matter. Once an old car like that is out of the system, usually seven years, no record of it exists any longer.
    You simply tell the DMV you lost the paperwork they will have you fill out a statement of facts and the fewer names you bring up the better.

13. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

badshifter has the simplest answer. The less they know, the better. I've done this exact thing. No problems.

14. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I know all the personal stuff gets me wrapped around the axle.

The lien sale sounds a little too Russian Roulette to me. Could see where that could backfire.

It was last registered in 1955 so yeah, it's out of the system.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Badshifter (and others) has the answer. Just apply for a replacement title.

16. Muttley

Muttley

-
    Ellie isn't doing the DMV thing anymore. Call 269-6969 and ask for the person who provides the DMV service

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have done the Badshifter method a number of times. (Including vehicles I had just bought not two hours before)
    Just don't give too much information.
    DMV has been getting better, but still a wait in line (ours had gotten almost speedy), and they are free
    Rego services are your best bet, but they cost.
    So what is worth more?

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if it was last registered in 1955 the title is of little or no value anyway. you still need a vin inspection and all that nonsense anyway.

19. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"..you still need a vin inspection..."

Not necessarily. With a little creativity, within legal bounds of course, and providing only necessary information, this should be easy...even in California. For an example, I have license plates and a title for an 'automobile' that all I provided to the registration service I used, was a photo (on my phone) of the frame VIN, and a oral description of what it was. The person at the registration service did roll their eyes when I provided this 'documentation', but it worked.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  20. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Hey, Muttley
    That phone number with all the 69's in it, is a 559 area code...right? Ha!

21. Muttley

Muttley

Yep.

22. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Ron in Fresno is licensed in CA to do VIN verifications.
    He will come to your location. 559-360-6941