Register now to get rid of these ads!

C4 with no kickdown cable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, Jun 14, 2009.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I have read where a lot of people say you do not need the kickdown cable on a C4...just downshift when needed and vacuum handles the upshifting.

My question is did some C4 come without a kickdown cable? I have one that I got with a 351W and it has a shifting arm, vacuum line, trans cooler lines, and a speedo wire. That is it. Where does the kickdown cable connect to?

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I ran one that way in my roadster for a little while.....like about 24 years or so. Not as good as having the authority to kick it down, but wasn't really much of a problem.

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

They all had kickdown, they used a piece of tubing smashed flat at each end instead of a cable, if it doesn't have the kickdown lever on the trans someone cut the lever off (the kickdown lever is next to shifter lever).

4. Like Kennth said, it connects to a lever on the side of the trans, same shaft as the shifter, and he is also correct about the funky smashed tubing. Lokar has cable kits of you decide to add one. Won't hurt the trans if you don't,

5. Alfster

Alfster

I ran a 289/C4 in a F100 for a couople of years and it had no kickdown.

Run a 289/C4 in a Ranchero also with no kick down.

A kickdown would be good if one could be fitted.

6. Mine does not have one either. Why bother at this point.

7. I've personally burnt up a C4 because of no cable or rod and I know two others who have done the same. It sucks hooking one up to certain carbs, but it is WELL worth the effort not having to rebuild a trans. If you don't kick it down it builds up pressure and fries the clutches.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The Lokar is only going to take 30-45 minutes to install,do it right and get one.

9. Alfster

Alfster

10. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I bought a B&M quicksilver cable shifter for my wifes car. Will the lokar kick down work with that?

11. chuck04

chuck04

Yes.

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I've been running my 289/C4 for close to 50K miles with no kickdown. 4 years plus daily driven, no problems.

13. Babyearl

Babyearl

If the only problem would be having to downshift by hand I would say don't bother,, but it's not. When you jump on the pedal at a low speed the trans pressure is low not allowing the clutches to be fully engaged,, as rpm's increase the pressure will come up coming to full pressure and full engagement,, the damage has already happened. It only takes a little time to install a kickdown as JeffB2 says,, do it right.