Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical c-clip rear problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Dec 15, 2014.

1. had a problem trying to remove the axles on a dodge rear. the pin-bolt that holds the shaft for the spider gears was broken off. i was able to unscrew the bolt but it was only 1/2 long, the rest of the threads and the pin section were still in the carrier. the previous guy tried to drill the bolt out [crooked] which locked it in. then he tried beating on both ends of the pin which bent and distorted the remainder of the bolt.
    in case anyone runs into this, and cannot use a awl to spin the broken section out, this is how i removed it; i ground the end of the shaft down using a round carbide cutter on my die grinder. i started in the middle and worked my way out in the same direction of the pin-bolt. the hole is not far from the end of the shaft so it did not take long before i had the top of the pin exposed. i ground down below the pin and out to the edge of the pin without hitting the carrier. i then hit the center of the pin with a punch which split the remainder of the shaft away. once the pin was out i could use a small pair of pliers to work the two pieces of the pin-bolt out. i had an extra shaft and pin-bolt to replace the damaged parts.
    worked for me. has anyone ran into this? what have you done?

saltflats likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have done the same a few times

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I'm impressed! Very good use of your smarts! :D

Ray

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. now if i can only get the metal shavings from the die grinder out of my hand.
    i can almost use my hand for a wire brush:D

Hnstray likes this.

5. Ugh, I worked in a slaughter house for a while (custom butcher) and I was the first one in one morning to find a guy with his arm stuck down the meat grinder. His wife just thought he was out on a drunk so no one looked for him. Ugh, that's just nasty.

6. i am glad that creepy picture is gone.......
    now that the camera is working, here is pictures of the pin
    DSCF3629.JPG DSCF3630.JPG

blowby likes this.