Register now to get rid of these ads!

buying my first potential rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthewsuckerpunch, Aug 29, 2007.

1. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

im going sept 10th to hopefully buy a 1918 model T... i know its old and its going to be my first to-be hotrod. i was hopin i could get some advice that isnt "dont get it" type stuff. being that im a vw guy by trade, i might try to use a modified vw chassis for starts if this one is in horrible shape and work my way up to building my own frame. but hey, if theres anyone in northwest arkansas that wants to take me under their wing(s) and show me the hotrod ropes, i will be your slave.

matthew

2. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Let me be the first to say don't use a VW chassis under it, you will never get it to look right and I think you will catch flak everywhere you go.

3. What body style is it? Post pics when you get it. and don't do anything to it, until you know what you want. DON'T USE THE VW CHASSIS!!!!!!!!!!!

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

a link pin front end and a swing axle just wouldn't be right. im a vw guy to, still have my first one a 63 rag but there is no way i would ever put some vintage tin on a belly pan or even a fabbed frame with vw suspension unless its a vw !! but thats just me

5. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

i pass the damn thing on the way to my shop everyday and noticed it was on an auction listing and the guy has had 2 other auctions prior to this and it hasnt sold. so im hopin i can pick it up cheap. its got all 4 wheels on it and rolls ( i know this cause it moves around the guys yard almost every other day) so i doubt ill have to do anything more than put some cheap pans in it and some of the usual repairs (breaks and shit) and i wasnt thinkin vw suspension on it. im just kindof brainstorming and thinking out loud.

6. Hmmm, might tell Belmont that the Volksrod he owns is gay and no longer a part of history.

For the record, i say build a chassis and add anything but that aircooled stuff

7. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Building an A-style or even another T-style chassis isn't that hard, there's been a buttload of writeups on here and in various mags. Go google it and read up. Ask questions on here, yeah, you'll probably get some shit but you'll get answers too.

8. Nobody said Volksrods are gay. We said don't put it on a VW chassis. I'm a VW guy too, I have 7 right now. Most of the time VW's and Hotrods don't mix. Volksrods are an exception, along with a few other attempts that have worked out OK.

9. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

thanks guys for being cool and not doggin me for not knowin much about american cars

10. That was sarcasm, i left out the smilies. I have been diggin on a Ghia running around town lately. But it doesnt need to be here.........weird boundries because a Roth trike fits in fine?! We are wierd.:eek:

11. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

i just dont want other HAMBers to hate me because im a classic vw restorer/mechanic. if i knew more about rods id have as many as my yard could hold but i have nobody to teach me the ways of the rod.:(

12. not mine , but i like it

[​IMG]

13. brandon

brandon

is that kent fullers ride....? as for a chassis .....if ya haven't got the skills or tools......might even look into a speedway t chassis and suspension kits..... brandon :D

14. recycler

recycler

Matthew, you need to come over to the Speed Merchants shop sometime. There are a bunch of us in the area that will help you. If you have basic skills such as welding etc we can lead you in the right direction. I have a bunch of equipment and tools I'll let you use any time.
    If the T is a roller I would suggest that you build a model T speedster out of it. They are cool and it would be a great project to get your feet wet with and it doesn't take big bucks to build one. You've got my phone number- call me. Welcome to the sickness............ Brad

15. Firecracker

Firecracker

Sounds like that is a cool find. I'm sure if you look around, you should be able to find someone with a custom shop that will help you. As for putting a speedway chassis under it, that is gonna cost way too much. You can build a tube frame much cheaper. Oh well, good luck and post some pics when you get it

16. recycler

recycler

Here's a link to a website with a bunch of different styles of T speedsters.
    Brad

http://www.nwvs.org/

17. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Best advice I've heard so far and a very cool offer to help, it's what I LOVE about the HAMB.

18. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

ive got the tools and a place to work on it and i work on cars for a living buuuuut i dont know anything about american cars. thanks everyone for the tips and info. im free this weekend so i might give you a call brad and we can break the buddy ice.