Register now to get rid of these ads!

Built a custom flatbed for my COE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38Chevy454, Jan 18, 2009.

1. With special thanks to Sam [SamIyam] for his help and use of his tools that are better than what I have for a job like this. Sam was a big help to get the frame built and the flat diamond plate welded in. The rest I did myself.

I have been talking about the flatbed for my 49 Ford COE for a long time. I just never got around to building it. Too busy driving the truck:) I also suck at taking pictures during the progress, but here are what I have

The basic bed is 74 inches wide x 120 inches length. I had two main goals - the bed could not be a while lot wider than the cab, and needs to match the style of the rounded shape. This led me to Art Morrison (the high tech chassis guys, thanks to Mike Bishop [AV8] for the lead on this). I ordered two big mandrel-bent U-shaped pieces of 2x4 .125 tubing for the two ends of the bed. I decided the bed would be to the middle of the rear tires, which is 74 inches, a couple more then the cab on each side.

Pic showing basic outer frame construction here without all the crossmembers. The pieces along the sides are just clamped for alignment.

Another shot of me drilling mounting holes, you can see more of the framework and some of the mounting to the truck frame

One of Sam with some of the 1/8 diamond plate floor being welded in place. Note that the floor is set down 1 inch from the top of the perimeter rails, to help keep stuff from sliding off

I did not get any pictures of the bed with all metal welded up. And after a lot of work, here it is painted and the gas fill necks mounted in place. The truck is up on ramps to get it higher so i could paint the underside as well

I still needed to build the wheelwells over the inner tires, see the pic below of my simple method to curve the diamond plate for the wheelwells. Just bent a little bit and then progressed through the length of the part. Not exactly a fast process. The resulting curve is not perfect, but you can not see any difference on the diamond side.

I have some 46 Ford big truck front fenders that will be modified into rear fenders for the outer tires, thanks to Mike [Plan9]. The shape matches the front fenders on the truck pretty good. Since the truck has to sit outside, I needed to get it finished enough to paint.

I built the wheelwells and rear fenders when I had more time in the next couple weekends. Steel sure is not cheap these days, I have about $1000 in materials for this custom bed.

I can't believe how much work was involved in finishing the bed of my COE with the fenders and all the small stuff. I have spent the last 2 weekends both days getting it finished, as well as a couple days around New Years.

I added the curved diamond plate inner wheelwells, then spent a lot of time cutting a rewelding the 46 Ford big truck front fenders. Then even more time making mounts for them. The rear fenders extend inside to cover both tires, front and rear. Here are a couple pics of the finished truck at normal ride height

Also took one of the truck with the airbags in front lowered down, I think it looks neat like this, but I can only drive straight

I also have the box for tools, jack, fluids and other small stuff on the bed, plus tie downs added so I can lash down junk. Also wired up my trailer light connector finally. I am basically done with it for now, I do need to find new lights for the front of the rear fenders. It would also be nice to find some better taillights, maybe ones that fit on the rear fenders?
    Terry

Attached Files:

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

That rocks. Thanks for sharing it with us.

3. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

Wow that is one cool hauler.The rear fenders look great.

4. PoPo

PoPo

that is BAD ASS!!!

5. autocol

autocol

dude, that is fucking awesome. i just love everything. i.... i....

speechless.

6. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

Very cool. I like the rear fenders and the proportions. Good job.

Mike

www.Customikes.com

7. Great job I'm building a hauler it gives me a lot of ideas thanks for sharing

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice! You're making me rethink my decision to lose the flatbed on my '48 Diamond T pickup...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  9. Great work Terry, I love it. I have a question for you what air bag system did you use and what issues did you encounter and how have you resolve them?

Thanks JD

10. ratt7

ratt7

Fabrication at it's best, great work !

11. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Sweet ride!! The bed looks killer like the rest of the truck!!

12. 53hauler

53hauler

You nailed it 38.Very nice

13. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Very cool, Terry...that looks awesome!!

14. you really hit the mark with the bed and modified rear fenders.

15. Cool, cool, cool, cool, cool!!!

BloodyKnuckles

16. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your truck was awesome before......even better now!

17. The chassis is a 74 GM 1-ton. Probably one of the easiest to airbag, it already has the shock located off the side of the A-arm. You just add airbag plates where the coil spring went and drill a few holes, run air lines. I have a small air compressor and tank under the bed.. I bought the pieces i needed from www.suicidedoors.com they have everything you need and great service and prices. I also put dropped spindles on the front. No problems, works great.

Thanks to everyone else for the compliments.

18. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Very Cool! Looks very truck like, not street rod like. The proportions are perfect. I think a pair of those late 50s Ford shield shaped truck taillights would look perfect.

19. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice looking truck the bed came out great !

20. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good ,COE's are so cool. Nice looking fab work too.

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Man that truck looks like a pile o fun:D nice job, the chop just makes it perfect!

22. millerkustoms

millerkustoms

That looks sweet Terry, you pulled it off really well.

23. Very cool hauler!

24. Balls Out Garage

Balls Out Garage
    from Arkansas

That bed looks awesome!
    I've been looking for a good way to integrate the fenders for mine...I think I just found it...:)

25. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

This is officially My favorite rod on the HAMB!

26. slammedchieftan

slammedchieftan

That thing is killer!!

27. kooscoe

kooscoe

Nice looking COE truck Terry:)
    Yes the small thinks cost the most time:mad:
    I my sell would have made the bed A bit wider and the fenders lower.

Have fun Driving:cool:

Diedelson.

28. Southfork

Southfork

Terry: Were you able to Mount the Ford COE cab on the 74 GM 1-ton chassis without having to change the stock GM engine, radiator and steering? I Just picked up a running 77 GM 1-ton dually chassis that I plan to use as the basis for my '39 Chevy COE. I am hoping that I won't have to change the 350 engine mounting or the stock steering box. What did you have to do? Any pics of mounting your cab to the GM chassis?

29. Southfork, sent you a PM.

Koos, you know I drive it all over, it has been to Bonneville twice already. It is my mostly daily driver.

Scottybacus, that is quite a compliment. There are many very nice rods on here that in my opinion put my COE to shame.

to the rest, thanks!

30. solid

solid

Yeah man, right on.