Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Holy Moly...closing in on 100 pages

winduptoy, Six Ball and Outback like this.
  2. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Great progress!
    Cleaning engines is a horribly messy job. I would consider cleaning the sludge traps in the crank, to make sure you get unrestricted flow to the big ends.

Hamtown Al, 41 GMC K-18 and Six Ball like this.
  3. RodStRace

RodStRace

I'd suggest cleaning the coolant passages as much as possible now. Flattys have a rep for running hot. If the pan is full of gunk, the coolant was probably also not maintained.
    Grab an old speedo cable and chuck it in a drill, then roto rooter to break up any deposits. If the shop has a descaler, or air chisel, use it against a chunk of wood on the block to shake stuff loose.
    You will be tearing into the engine again later, that's hot rodding. But get it as good as you can now before putting it back into service.

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That gunk is why many of the truck pans have a clean out port on the bottom. Non-detergent oil+ heat + time = messy gunk everywhere oil goes. With new oil what isn't cleaned up now can break loose I clog things up. Keep an eye on it. Looking good!

41 GMC K-18 and Outback like this.
  5. Cubby47

Cubby47

Joey those desert style cribs are fabulous they have the design that wows. You could park ANYTHING in from would be cooliolicious !

6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It feels like just yesterday that we were on Page 1. We're just getting started.

Great ideas. I'll investigate further next time I'm at the shop.

I can see why they implemented that. Genius. Day by day, I'm getting this pan a little bit cleaner.

Hell yeah, couldn't agree more!

7. Nobey

Nobey

This thread is like a Snowball, it just keeps getting bigger and better.....Happy 100 pages.

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What color will the engine be? The acorn nuts are cool!

Stogy, Nobey, J.Ukrop and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I totally missed two post of updates! Engine bolted together looks great think it’ll be white?

saw this so late last night that I wasn’t sure if I wasn’t imagining it and decided to wait til the morning to comment lol

Stogy, Six Ball, Nobey and 2 others like this.
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, Nobey! I feel like we were just on page 1 yesterday. Amazing how the time flies. The best part is, we're making progress and having fun.

Tim nailed it. The engine will be white. With any luck, it'll wear in nicely like an old pair of shoes.
    IMG_0263.jpg

11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Back on the home front, I have a few homework assignments. The first of which is cleaning that pan. It's getting close.
    IMG_1605.jpg
    While I was scrubbing in my respirator and rubber gloves, my neighbor asked what I was up to. "Oh, just cleaning out decades worth of gunk from this oil pan," I said. "Why is that? Is it because it's combustable?" I laughed. "Not exactly, but that could be a reason too!"
    IMG_1595.jpg
    The next day, I took one of my favorite routes to the Presidio. The sun was setting as I approached the bridge, and it was dark by the time I reached Sports Basement. Leaving the store, I saw my car sitting there under the glow of the streetlamps. I'm always happy to see it, but after being out of town for the past week, it was an extra treat.

Oh, and I've been slowly trying to sand off the race paint. A word of warning: tempera paint doesn't work well on primer!

trevorsworth, Stogy, Joe Blow and 9 others like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah it’s probably too porous for anything to wash off easy. @zibo / Travis Perich was always painting engines white- I’m sure a carry over from him working on boats- and I always kinda dug it. I’m also a sucker for a car like @Dreddybear covered in white details but also covered in road grime.

you can wash it up for prom night but it just has a nice feel when it’s dirty, to me anyhow.

winduptoy, Six Ball and J.Ukrop like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

"With any luck, it'll wear in nicely like an old pair of shoes." At least it won't smell like an old pair of shoes!:rolleyes:
    I never had any luck painting things white, guess I should have sealed them up first. :eek:

J.Ukrop, Outback and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

My ‘32 banger engine is painted Ford blue while the ‘31 in the Zipper is rattle can red. Both of them have been run on the dyno in Lincoln during the Speedster Reunion and the red engine definitely puts out more HP. 13A3871C-1A35-4CBF-8FB0-50A5E9B3B6B3.jpeg 8FC68666-61D3-4AF7-95C0-443550DC5231.jpeg

15. What's the specs on each?

41 GMC K-18, Outback, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well the 31 is red and the 32 blue.
    Lol come on keep up everyone knows red engines are faster ;)

17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Two impressive mills. I good call with the chrome acorns on one and the blue header on the other!

Well, most of the time...

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As I've mentioned before, things have been super busy. After Palm Springs, I spent the weekend in Scottsdale covering Barrett-Jackson. I'll have the report on my favorite car in attendance, the "Trojan T," in tomorrow's Jalopy Journal column.
    4M5A6619.jpg
    As I write this, I'm preparing for my next trip. This time around, I'll be heading to the Northeast with my girlfriend, Gen. We'll kick things off in Boston, then we're off to New York City—a place I've never been. I'm excited to see what it's all about!

Things keep moving, but I'm doing everything in my power to keep the ball rolling on Version 2.0. Ever since day one, I've been excited about making progress, big or small.
    IMG_1667.jpg
    Today, between writing assignments, I painted my water pumps. Getting some color on them (or lack thereof) got me fired up to paint my engine when I'm back in town.

Stogy, winduptoy, drdave and 9 others like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

4M5A9589.jpg
    If I recall correctly, this is the first year since 2016 that I won't be at the Grand National Roadster Show. I love GNRS, and I always enjoy the feeling of walking around the Fairplex after the sun goes down. Every year, it becomes a bigger and bigger gathering of friends. So, for those of you who will be there, have a great time and take lots of photos.

I just flipped through my coverage from last year, for old time's sake. @Nick32vic and I had a riot wandering the grounds, checking out the machines and enjoying a beverage at the Idle Hour. IMG_1559.jpg
    Who knows, maybe 2.0 will be ready for the Suede Palace in a year or two?

JalopyJimbo, Stogy, winduptoy and 9 others like this.
  20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After a quick trip to the East Coast, I'm feeling refreshed in inspired. Boston was fun (but cold), and New York was incredible. IMG_1704.jpg
    I spent three very full days exploring the city for the first time. From the pizza to the subway system, West Village to Brooklyn, it couldn't have been better.

I especially loved the Guggenheim, which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and finished in 1959.
    IMG_1724.jpg
    I also enjoyed the creative buildings of Brooklyn. The one below was almost perfect—except I would have kept one half as a garage. Th skylights were a nice touch. IMG_1789.JPG
    And, if you can believe it, I managed to find what might be the only street-parked Model A in New York City. (It's actually an AA, but you get the idea.)
    IMG_1797.JPG
    All in all, a great weekend.

Less than 24 hours after returning to San Francisco, I jumped on a plane and flew to Southern California. As you read this, I'm just outside Yucca Valley in the middle of my coverage of King of the Hammers—a brutal off-road race—that wraps up tomorrow. It's O/T for the H.A.M.B., but pretty damn impressive. Won't be long and I'll be back home wrenching on 2.0.

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sidebar 100: Approaching Page 100

I know I've talked about it before, but I remember starting this thread one night at my parents' house in Michigan. At the time, I didn't think too much of it. I just wanted a place where I could document my progress and look back one day and say, "Wow, I really didn't know what I was doing."

A lot has changed since then. Different job, different apartment, new relationship, the works. But, through it all, this car has remained a constant—and the build thread has too. As we approach Page 100, I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for your help. I'm so lucky to have all of you on my side, and I'm even luckier to have met so many of you in person along the way.

At one point, we were stressing the T.R.O.G. deadline for this car. Since we ended up racing Version 1.5 at Flabob, folks have been asking what my next big deadline is. The answer? There isn't one. David and I are going to work to make this car the best it can possibly be, whether it takes a month or if it takes another year. We're determined, and we will make this happen.
    IMG_1817.JPG
    On that same topic, I've been waiting to share this but couldn't really find the right time. Last year, The Rodder's Journal asked me to write a short piece about my car for issue #85. It's a story you know all too well, but it's exciting to see my roadster in the pages of my favorite magazine.
    IMG_3863.jpg
    Here's to more learning, more laughs and, above all, more fun Building My First Roadster in San Francisco.

22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

And for those of you who missed it the first time around, here's a fun mini-doc about where it all began.

drdave, Stogy, Outback and 12 others like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Living the dream man 33F2AC07-FE9A-4279-B022-080FD8AC8D02.jpeg

JalopyJimbo, J.Ukrop, drdave and 6 others like this.
  24. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it's been a great trip along the way to page 100 and all the stuff in between. We appreciate you! Congrats on the bit in TRJ
    Have fun at the KOHammers...it is in a league of it's own.
    Carry on

J.Ukrop, drdave, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  25. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

Wow time flies. 1 year ago

Attached Files:

J.Ukrop, drdave, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  26. cabong

cabong

Seems right when I have decided that I left nothing behind when we moved to Idaho 23 years ago, you go and post more pictures that make me regret the move. The sights and sounds of Herb Caen's City by the Bay are magnificently resurrected in your photos. I suspect most people are checking out your period perfect roadster, but the real treasures are what's in the background. From the teeny tiny garages to the styling of the homes in the Avenues, to the Presidio my wife used to see from the window in her little upstairs apartment, to the glorious Golden Gate, to the Mission, and to Ghirardelli Square. You seem to catch them all. The roadster, yep, it's pretty damn cool also.... Makes me think about maybe a road trip in my Model A. We'll see....

drdave, 41 GMC K-18, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  27. Thanks for taking us on your journey. It's been a great ride so far.

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  28. Nobey

Nobey

A lot of this I've seen, but it was sure fun to see it all again. Thanks for the post Joey......

41 GMC K-18, winduptoy, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks again Joey, perhaps you might make it down to Australia sometime & checkout some of the action down under, I'm sure you find some things to tickle your fancy.

30. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Ton up!

J.Ukrop likes this.