Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Budget36

Budget36

You mention a friend Ilya, it’s a unique ( to me) first name, I sold some F1 parts to an Ilya who live in the SJ area, maybe 10-15 years ago. He liked F1 trucks, also old gas pumps and most likely other stuff as well.
    Just wondered if it was the same fellow

2. @J.Ukrop Checkout Dan McEachern in Alameda. He makes Bronze cam gears, but I would HIGHLY recommend getting the matching crank gear. Here's his info:

DAN MCEACHERN CO

920 PEARL ST
    ALAMEDA, CA 94501-6339
    (510) 769-7524[​IMG]

3. The bronze gears are pretty quiet. I've got a ser of Dan's gears in my truck and another on the shelf at the speed shop. Plus boxes of aluminum gears and a few fiber ones....I've also probably got a chrome front cover I'd let go...

Outback, Algoma56, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  4. dwollam

dwollam

There are 2 different fiber type gears. Bad 1 is "maserated" which is basically a bunch of ground up fibers smashed together. Sounds like crap huh? It is. Then the better one is "stranded" I think it's called. Better, but still not ideal. I run aluminum gears in the bangers and the flathead V8's. Noisy? Can you actually hear anything in a roadster?? Ask the small block chevy guys about gear drive whine, they love it! Makes them think they have a supercharger. No experience with bronze but they should be great. I stay away from fiber, period. Your gear is not long for this earth! BTW, all that missing fiber is not really missing, it ends up in the oil pump screen!

Dave

5. PM me a price and a photo of that timing cover? Also, is it a normal A or the early 28 AR?

6. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Damn dude, let the OP have a chance first!

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Since this is Joey's thread and about his build I think he gets first shot at parts offered on the thread. It's just the polite thing. :)

GASSERBOB, Stogy and jim snow like this.
  8. My bad guys, I misread. Thought he had more than one!!
    Sorry about that Joey :D

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  9. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Where I’m from, that’s called a “Cock-Block”!

10. Wasn't trying to "cock block" Joey, I misread Hitchhikers post.
    Didn't mean to undermine Joey!

11. Budget36

Budget36

I thought he was installing a chrome timing cover and that’s when he found the issue with the gear?

winduptoy likes this.
  12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Good call, everyone. I spoke with Dan via email and I'll be getting the bronze cam gear and new crank gear. As much as I would like to swap cams right now, I'm being a little bit careful (partially for budget reasons) and trying to run the engine with a stock-ish configuration. Besides, if I do swap the cam, I will have already removed the gears once so I'll know how they go together.

Interesting that you mention that. Ilya did live in San Jose a few years ago, but he doesn't have any old cars. That would have been a small world!

JalopyJimbo, catdad49, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahah no sweat. I reached out to Matt already. It's funny—I had a moment of panic thinking that I got scooped!

I was installing the side timing cover, which made me wonder if anyone had a front timing cover to match. Pretty flashy, but I figured if it's apart, why not?

catdad49, Stogy, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Tells ya what I know about A engines;)

J.Ukrop likes this.
  15. 97

Call Jim Brierley about a cam , valve springs and adjustable lifters, they are not that expensive and he will advise you not try to rip you., or talk you into something you do not need. He is pretty local to you too.... well California anyway, closer than he is to me!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachments/cam-list-doc.1804719/
    What has that other engine you bought got in it? Cam , aluminum gear and big valves?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I don't know if there is a matching crank gear to that bronze one, but it is often better to have a harder (steel) smaller gear matched with a softer large gear. They both wear less.

An example is a worm and gear, they are usually this configuration.

17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I may have to give him a call.

Just for record keeping purposes, here are the specs—as I know them—on the two engines. We'll call the current powerplant Engine #1 and the spare "The Gopher Motor"

Engine #1
    Running, internal specifications unknown, mileage unknown
    About to have the cam gear and crank gear replaced with pieces from Dan McEachern
    Lower pulley will be replaced with a smaller one from Secrets of Speed to assist with cooling
    New V-belt
    Adjustable lifters
    FSI Ignition
    Cloth-wrapped radio suppression wire
    Hi-output coil
    Old downdraft intake
    Old custom 4-into-2 tube header w/ baffles
    New Stromberg 81 w/ banjo fitting
    Muroc Mfg. stack
    Custom linkage with Charlie Yapp ends
    PowerGEN alternator for 12V system
    Original Cragar side cover
    Old chrome timing gear cover
    Holley Mighty Mite fuel pump
    Vintage Stewart-Warner fuel pressure gauge

Engine #2, "The Gopher Motor"
    Rebuilt by Berkeley Automotive Center, presumably in the 1950s
    Never ran, zero miles on engine
    Fiber timing gear
    .030 undersize main bearings
    .030 undersize rod bearings
    Bored 0.080 over
    Non-adjustable lifters
    Extended oil fill tube?

As of right now, I plan to just enjoy the car with its current engine. I'm not sure how much has been done to it already, but I'm definitely in the "If it ain't broke..." camp. I'm thinking it may be fun to do some work to the spare engine (high-compression head, cam, adjustable lifters, etc.) and maybe swap it in at some point.

Oh, and all this being said, I haven't lost sight of my A-V8 goals. In fact, I may or may not have something in the works. But we're in pre-war hot rod territory now, so let's have some fun!

Outback, catdad49, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

CD4666E4-8F1D-447D-B4C8-FD8047E3223D.jpg
    Dreaming big & having fun with old cars.

19. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Having fun is all that this is about, I love these old photos.

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

So true, trying to make sense of it just doesn't work. :D

Stogy, J.Ukrop, greaser and 1 other person like this.
  21. Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

Holy smokes, what a great thread! I just discovered this place and stumbled onto this threat, and have loved catching up on it over the last few hours.

I live just down the road, in the Sunset and just got my “starter kit” ‘32 Five Window Coupe. You guys have inspired me so much my head is spinning. - Jaime

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Jamie when you are ready start a thread for your build we would like to follow your adventure too.

Paul, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  23. Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

You bet I will. Thanks.

Jrs50, chryslerfan55, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

What?! That’s amazing. Thank you for the kind words. I’m out of town until Wednesday, but I’ll have to swing by and check out the coupe soon! Welcome to the H.A.M.B.!

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I’m away in Portland for the One Motorcycle Show, but I believe most of my parts have arrived at my house by now. Right before I left, I got a very heavy box in the mail from Southern California. What was it? [​IMG][​IMG]

My new cast iron drums from Randy Gross. I also have new bearings and seals. I’ll take this project on after I get the timing gears sorted out.

26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

When I walked in the door last night, I was greeted by a big pile of packages. I’d like to think of them as early birthday presents to myself and my car. I also have a few little pieces that I picked up in Oregon that I’ll share later.

I have some work things to attend to today, but I’m thinking I’ll drain the radiator and get the rope seal soaking in oil this afternoon.

I know we’re still a few days out, but what do you use for gear assembly lube? There are a ton of products out there and I’m not sure which one to go with. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4917.JPG

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Wow! Cool looking Maybe you need a plexiglass timing cover? :rolleyes::D

28. Chalkie

Chalkie
    from England

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  29. Glad you went with Dan's gear.
    Let us know how you like it!!