Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building a hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WillemVelde, Feb 1, 2018.

1. catdad49

catdad49

Way to go, Billy!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Welcome Willem, I saw that car on Marktplaats last year. Interesting body, i see a little hint to Pre-War Opel, Renault, Vauxhall, Hillman, Skoda. Without the original firewall it,s hard to tell what it was.

3. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

4. WillemVelde

WillemVelde

Body is something euro. But with some nice lines. And the c-pilar hanging over the wheel well is the reason why I will be cutting back the door so the c-pilar has to move forward as well. Suicide doors and roofline are ford 33 style. Rest looks more 32. I will make something out of it.

As for the book, does it have an ISBN? That could help the search...

flynbrian48 likes this.
  5. WillemVelde

WillemVelde

Ok. So I found it on amazon.com. Ordered both the books, seems like a good starting point.

Dick Stevens likes this.
  6. WillemVelde

WillemVelde

Today I picked up the car. It turns out to be a body off an hanomag kurier.1935 or something like that. The thing is pretty cut up by the previous owner. And I will cut it it some more. Here are 2 pictures. One of current state and rougly what I'm planning on doing with it.... 20180213_172328.jpg hotrod.jpg

7. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

That second picture looks really cool! That sir, is a hot rod!

chryslerfan55 and WillemVelde like this.
  8. clem

clem

F811E5F7-7C8D-479E-AED1-49D153972088.jpeg AED1F407-54BC-41CB-841F-EA2D961C82B3.jpeg I

A couple of images of 1935 hanomag kurier, -what original car would have looked like, (borrowed off google).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I can't say enough about the idea of cutting up an old sedan to make a hot rod. Cut off anything that doesn't look like a hot rod.

10. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I was wondering if there was a Vicky version of the English Ford... wasn't too far off...

A couple of images of 1935 hanomag kurier, -what original car would have looked like, (borrowed of google).[/QUOTE]

11. WillemVelde

WillemVelde

Thanks for the replies. I found the hanomag pictures, was a good looking car I think. But it's been destroyed now so I don't feel guilty making something out of it.

chryslerfan55, Squablow and catdad49 like this.
  12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

cute car,like a cross between the front of a 32 chevyand the rear end of a ford Vicky.i like it

13. That,ll work :cool:.

14. dutchrod

dutchrod

Hi Willem,
    You can also leave the doors and go for a 3 window body instead of a 5 window.
    Would also be killer.

Groeten,
    Dennis

15. WillemVelde

WillemVelde

I love the 5 window cars more than 3 window, so I will stick to the 5 window :)

16. cederholm

cederholm

A Hanomag Kurier!! I knew it! ....okay I didn't, never heard of one of those, but I like your project!

Welcome from NYC!
    ~ Carl

17. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

A set of steel main caps is a cheap investment to help preserve your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  18. WillemVelde

WillemVelde

I figured that one out. But how about the stock 59a connecting rods? I have the books here, didn't read ot all but I haven't found that. It will be a street motor but with blower and I will put my foot down.

chryslerfan55 and 48fordnut like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joe Abbin used 8BA rods and crank due to increased strength, better oiling and the use of insert bearings. With a little work you do the same in that 59AB block. In fact some guys do that just because they like the look of the early motor better.
    I run 'em, just like Joe recommended, on a merc crank, shot peened and ARP hardware.
    upload_2018-2-15_16-7-9.png

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, waxhead and loudbang like this.
  20. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

its going to look K:cool::cool:L go for it

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. Welcome and you have a great project. The Joe Arbin book will be your Bible for your flathead plans - have not built one by his methods but I know others that have. His idea is to make em stout and make em strong - bedt of luck and keep us all posted on your unique build ...

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  22. WillemVelde

WillemVelde

I read Joe Abbins book and the feeling for using an 8ba style crank and rods creeped up on me. Mainly because the free floating main bearing and sharing one bearing on 2 cilinders is something I didn't grow up with.

But, will it go wrong on the std equipment? That's the question I keep asking myself. I can do everything in the book and end up with overkill. Boost will be around 5psi. 7psi will be too much.

One thing to keep in mind is that I will be driving cross country in the future. Making 3000 miles in a couple of weeks. So. Wil it be nescesarry in that perspective?

23. WillemVelde

WillemVelde

Also. What should a good 4" merc crank with rods cost? What are the prices of that?

24. Cool looking project.
    Maybe its just the camera perspective and lack of firewall but it kind of looks to me like the rear of the motor is a long ways away from where your firewall may be..??

25. WillemVelde

WillemVelde

No. You're right. Engine has to move backward. But the body might need to move forward too. I think the radiator will be some base in mocking things up.

26. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. Benny's Ford

Benny's Ford

Welcome Willem, Nice project!

28. WillemVelde

WillemVelde

Well.... I bought the 4 inch merc crank with rods. Good condition. Minor machining. Set me back 600 dollar. And I'm not looking for top horsepower. Going with the Joe Abbin I think 5 pound of boost and a compression ratio of 7.5 to 8 would be the way to go.

I suppose the merc crank will do ok?

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent! I'm looking forward to seeing your build and results.

loudbang likes this.
  30. WillemVelde

WillemVelde

Real results won't come in till next year. Just collecting parts and planning for now :)