Register now to get rid of these ads!

building a 49 ford for my dad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ls1wagon, Nov 6, 2007.

1. spoole

spoole
    from mesa AZ

cool, I've been building this set up in my mind...glad to see I'm really not that crazy.

2. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

I was able to get the rear upper bag mount completed and the two link bag plates also welded on. Next issue at hand is the rear end , I had my dad get a ford 8.8 rear end out of an explorer . The explorer rear end is too long but the carrier is off set on this rear end I am able to take 2-7/8 inch out of the long side and make it the same as the other and just buy an axle for the short side and install it to have the correct length rear end. pics show the rear end in progress.

Attached Files:

3. the shark

the shark

thanks for the pics and progress reports...

i will be getting into the suspension on my cadillac soon.
    i was wondering why you decided to use a 2-link system rather than a 3 or 4. what are the pros and cons of the 2-link?

4. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

I chose the 2 link over a 3 or 4 link set up for many reasons the 3 or 4 links always take up more room , they also, do to the bushings on both ends of the links tend to body roll a lot more. the reason for less body roll on a 2 link is that they are solid mounted to the rear when useing the u bolts to mount it ,it makes the axle housing its self acts as a sway bar. Another reason for 2 link is ride quality, the bag being on the link and not on top of the rear end makes alot of differents. Last simplicity . Just make sure to use a long 2 link and the pinion angle will not suffer ,as that is the only pro to useing a 3 or 4 link set up ( in my eyes ) . Think of how a ladder bar set up work just like a two link only I will be setting the car on the ground once parked. Dont get me wrong a 3or4 link set up looks awesome if you have the room for it two function well.

5. thralldad

thralldad
    from Central TX

That car looks familiar,where did you get it?

6. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

the car came from Weatherford Tx.

7. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

Damn, John. You've got some skills, man.

8. the shark

the shark

another 2-link question and i will quit.

will a 2-link hold up to the weight of a heavier cadillac as opposed to your ford? i like the look and simplicity of this set up. i just dont want to risk anything being unsafe.

thanks for the info.

9. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

Yes it will hold up just fine the 2x2 I used is is thicker than 1/4 inch. I also have a freind that has a 7x suburban that has the 2 link on it and it has no problems.

10. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

Thanks man some day I will be able to do this for $.

11. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

You probably already could. It's just a matter of opening your own place or finding the right shop to work for.

12. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

the rear end is back together and turned out to be about 56.8 inches wide mounting surface to surface. I decided to re do the 2 links a bit to keep the angle at aprox 0-2 degrees at ride height, I chose to do that because the car would not have hooked up well at all the wat they were. So that led me to have to move and change the rear upper bag mount bars. after all that the rear control arm angle is at 1 degee down in the front at ride height and if we choose to drag race the car at a heigher stance the the front point can be moved down one adjustment. Oh yeah got the body set on to find the fire wall location to make motor mounts, ant test fit the engine.

Attached Files:

13. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

AND MORE:D The car does not sit all the way down yet do to the afct that I have Yet to cut the rear tubes out and raise them , and also the front still has the inner fender wells sitting on th tire.

Attached Files:

14. Tin Can

Tin Can

The car is comming along nicely. Keep up the good work

15. bsharer

bsharer
    from Texas

Looking good man!

16. draider

draider
    from Texas

Looking good. I'm always amazed at how quickly some people can get their projects together, gives me motivation to work on my junk. Keep us posted!

17. petebert

petebert

very cool, my first son should be born any day now. I can only hope he'll inspire me on my projects later down the road. I've dreamt of projects since I was 10 or so, so I imagine I still will at 40 or 50

18. EdselRich

EdselRich

lookin good if you guys put as much work into everything else as you did to the frame it's gonna be one badass box

19. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

I feel the same way my son is almost eight months old.

Attached Files:

20. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

Oh we will it will just be time befor it is completely finished, the body work will be the task that takes time since I have never attempted any befor

21. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

You got PM. :)

Lookin' good, brutha'.

22. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

Got an empty mock up block and trans today. Its a gen III SBC . Also started putting together the engine mounts tonight. Here is all the update pics.

Attached Files:

23. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Looks good John! You gonna run a TH350 in it?

24. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

no a 4l65e is what I got with the engine . I have a powerglide and intake manifold to make the Engine carburated but he wants it efi,:( oh well I guess it is his ride LOL. Going Efi is cheaper any way I got the harness with the engine and I have already done this swap befor in the wagon

Attached Files:

25. That explains your screen name!

Great thread, by the way.

26. rodknocker

rodknocker

looks great, thanks for all the photo's and explanations.

27. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

Thanks for the comments, Im on a hunt for I-Beams today to set up my poor mans chasis jig :D

28. Damn John,we both use the same little Hobart welder. Looking good man!

29. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

That hobart welder kicks ass, best bang for your buck as far as Im concerned.

30. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

Well we got a bit done sunday, was able to brace the body some and get the rear fender tubes cut out. Then we remove the body mounts so the rockers will lay on the ground once its let down. after that me and dad set the body back on and placed the motor in for the first look, witch intake set up do you like?:D

Attached Files: