Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Build #2 I 30 Model A"Coupe" AKA Phoenix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jackalope, Oct 3, 2016.

1. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Awsome work. I agree with a prior posting that most people would have walked away from this task

2. jackalope

jackalope

Made a little progress in a few different ways. I decided to build a new sub floor and basically channel the body 1.5". Started putting the sub floor in. The entire center will be replaced with inverted "U's" for tranny tunnel and center sections removed for drive shaft.
    I then wasted a lot of time starting on a frame and got pissed because of the inability to ensure accuracy so I scrapped everything and built a frame table. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ravedodger, bigheadbaxter and Dino 64 like this.
  3. ty johnson

ty johnson

4. jackalope

jackalope

Trying to get over a wicked cold. Baby steps in the process.
    Laid out the frame with the help of Ty here on the H.A.M.B.
    Then started getting at it. Here's where I am.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Everything that has a weldment will be fishplates either internally if accessible or externally.
    I've been going back and forth on some things but the plan is split bones up front with spring behind axle. Radiator will stand alone and not in crossmember. Rear suspension is likely a hybrid type deal. Transverse leaf spring, modified radius rod with low mount bracket. The rear rods will need to be bent to fit the high kick up and still retain the triangulation required.
    Hang tight. We will get there....

5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Great job, enjoying the whole build, keep posting, hope you feel better

jackalope likes this.
  6. jackalope

jackalope

I'm not sure what the hell has been up with me lately but I feel like I've been unraveling. First a wicked cold and then my neck got all jacked up. My backed right after that. Perhaps a few beers will straighten things up
    Anyway, I hated not making any progress, so I reluctantly went up to the shop and started mating the frame to the body. Just to see how close things are. I'm relatively happy. I think I have plenty of length from cowl to end of frame horns (which are unfinished).
    I will be mocking up suspension to determine if I need to click the upswing on the frame more for the axle/suspension. Nothing is "set". Just a mock up. I'm happy and have a little more motivation to keep pecking away.
    Baby steps[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

waxhead likes this.
  7. jackalope

jackalope

The front has a little more to drop. Not much. I don't want a lot of rake but I do need to level it out as it mates the frame and body.

8. jackalope

jackalope

I haven't posted in quite awhile because I have been trying to keep up with my sons sports. Anyway, here are some minor updates.
    [​IMG]
    Above are some adjustable radius rod ends I bent up. Tube is 1.0" x 0.25" wall tapped with clevis ends. I used some old British Ford Radius Rods I got from Ty Johnson on the HAMB. I cut the original attachment points off and used my tube ones in place. [​IMG]
    I gussets them but don't have any pics that I can find but I know I took some. I will post up when I find them.
    Obviously the suspension will ride below the driveshaft which will be make for one heckuva armrest!
    Also have the engine that will be going in this sucker.

9. jackalope

jackalope

Here we go.
    These radius rods will also receive a thorough beefing up after they are welded up. Going to be under quite a bit more stress than they were originally intended to be under! Also, because the configuration is quite curvy, they will see additional stress.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The axle will ride where the hoop is in the fenderwell.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Dino 64 likes this.
  10. jackalope

jackalope

Dino 64 likes this.
  11. mkebaird

mkebaird

I like your style - great workmanship!!

12. jackalope

jackalope

13. jackalope

jackalope

Made a little progress. Got the motor mounts and placement where I "think" I want it. If you look closely at the mounts you will see that they are actually the leftover pieces from the British Ford rear radius rods. I Beam construction. Used some heavy rubber isolators at the mount itself.

Attached Files:

14. jackalope

jackalope

I know the motor may have some scratching their head but it's my car and it will be fast but still reliable. While I love the look of old nailheads, caddy's and flat heads, I just can't justify the cost to achieve the horsepower I want. Therefore, my buddy Ty Johnson on here hooked me up with someone selling a LQ9. That's the 6.0 LS motor. I guess technically it IS a Caddy motor since it came out of an Escalade! :)

The rest of the pics are just suspension mock up. Sorry for the blurry ones. Phone's camera sucks
    I will need to move the spring a little further towards engine so the radiator will drop between axle and spring. The frame will be contoured to clean things up as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  15. jackalope

jackalope

To help give a better idea about the engine mounts. Here is a pic of the cut off pieces from the radius rods before they got trimmed down even more.

Attached Files:

Dino 64 likes this.
  16. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

17. jackalope

jackalope

I had a little time this weekend to figure out the rear suspension a little more. As with the radius rods being adjustable, I wanted the height to be adjustable as well. I came up with these 3/8" plate I drilled 3/4" grade 1" apart. Adjustable as much as 3" for more or less rake.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And for good measure I started welding the radius rods completely.

18. jackalope

jackalope

Forgot to mention, the bottom hole is ride height at 4". It's likely going to be second from top.

19. jackalope

jackalope

I haven't updated in awhile as I been tied up with my sons sports. Finally got to the shop and made some headway.
    Got my axle shafts back from re-splining and got me a roller, finally!!!
    I'm really glad I opted for the adjustability with the rear suspension. Everything sits exactly as I had hoped it would but couldn't be sure until I put some weight on it. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Second picture up you can see where I reinforced the radius rods. I added piece of 1/2" solid round welded the full length of the radius rod. While this should certainly strengthen things, I don't expect them to be nearly as strong a a piece that is straight. I will also be welding in a slight gusset at the axle RR mount.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  20. jackalope

jackalope

I'm hoping to have the cab mocked up tomorrow night and maybe a driveshaft made.
    Once I am happy with everything I will pull it apart and finish weld everything and run brake lines. As it sits the suspension components are heavily tacked in place.
    I'll also make the K member and reinforce the frame laterally.

21. jackalope

jackalope

Body is on. Will drop down another inch and a half in the rear. Some interference with suspension mounts. Basic look though. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  22. jackalope

jackalope

Suspension cycles very well. Surprising it works like I planned but I guess taking your time and actually doing some figuring DOES pay off.

23. jackalope

jackalope

Rolled it outside last night after getting the body fully on. Suspension will see a slight increase in rear height for mild take. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

24. jackalope

jackalope

I adjusted the rear suspension up a couple inches using the adjustable brackets I made. I think the rake is about right. Also built the trans tunnel. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  25. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Wow ! You nailed it in that last profile shot, the stance is perfect.
    Sure come a long way,

jackalope likes this.
  26. jackalope

jackalope

Thanks man! Definitely not 100% H.A.M.B. Friendly but should be a good riding rod that'll last. I was sorta resurrecting something that was destined to be topsoil so I don't feel bad in the least for doing the things (LS motor) that I've done to her.
    Sure, it doesn't go over too well on this site but I think that bringing this little forgotten mess back from the brink the way I have is more than acceptable.
    Thanks again

Dino 64 likes this.
  27. 55chevr

55chevr

Like the stance ... can you show photos of the trans tunnel?

Joe

28. jackalope

jackalope

Joe,
    I'm out of town for a week and when I return I will try and get a few. Because the driveshaft rides so high in the passenger compartment I used 1" square tube like the sub floor. Retains the structural integrity of the subfloor and also provides some degree of safety should the shaft let go.

29. jackalope

jackalope

30. 55chevr

55chevr

A couple more when you get back would be greatly appreciated.... especially viewed from the inside. Your ingenuity solved a problem for me. My 31 project is a land speed car and similar high tunnel channeled body design. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Joe