Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Build #2 I 30 Model A"Coupe" AKA Phoenix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jackalope, Oct 3, 2016.

1. jackalope

jackalope

I finally got some things buttoned up around the home and shop and decided to start on my second build. This is going to be a long thread that will take quite some time. Once you see the pics you will understand why.
    First, I will start with my recently "finished" project. It is a 1928 Model A sedan. I did a small write up awhile back. Needless to say, I learned A LOT! Mainly, what NOT to do on the next build ;-)
    So, without further ado, here is the finished Build #1 and the heap-o-rust and start of the next. I think it should be called the Phoenix because this thing sure does appear to have come out of a fire!!!

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  2. jackalope

jackalope

Some more pics of the car in pieces. I could really use some help with close up pics, if anyone has some, of the underside where the cowl panels are up against. It looks like there is a similar profile under the cowl panels but mine are so rusted out I can't make sense of it. Also, if anyone has some close ups of the kick up floor boards that you can see in mine that are shot. I want to make those pieces. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

HFKDI and AHotRod like this.
  3. jackalope

jackalope

I decided to start with the base. Obviously the subrails need to be solid for everything to mount to. I landed a pretty decent set because the originals were simply too far gone to even mess with. I went ahead and removed all of the cancer that had set in and replaced it with new life. Not sure what all of the mounting holes are for or if I will need all of them but I transferred them to the patches based off of the old rot.
    Baby steps. The full time job certainly does get in the way of more important things so updates will be coming but slowly.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  4. jackalope

jackalope

Last night I spent a little time playing with a new passenger cowl patch panel. The panel definitely needed to be tweaked to line up. I spent a lot of time with the hammer and dolly but I got it lined up quite well. The pic here was before it was fully lined up and smoothed out. Gives you an idea.
    All the pieces will be going in the tank for a de-rusting. Was going to media blast but the metal is too thin to risk warping.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Good start !

How about choosing the LARGE picture option when posting

6. jackalope

jackalope

Is that what I did or didn't do? I am not that good with posting things or computers in general.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

This is the LARGE option

IMG_1335.JPG

kidcampbell71 and 1927graham like this.
  9. jackalope

jackalope

I will attempt to upload larger pictures. May take a few tries unless someone cuts tot he chase and tells me the easy way. For now, I will post progress from last night. Was outta town for son's soccer all weekend. IMG_2628.JPG IMG_2633.JPG IMG_2634.JPG IMG_2635.JPG

kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  10. jackalope

jackalope

Some additional work. Panels and other sheet metal has been soaking in the molasses bath just under a week when these pics were taken. Amazing to see the rust literally just wash away! You can see where the "water line" was. Rust up top and bare metal below. Too bad the tank wasn't big enough to lay things flat. Firewall looked like swiss cheese but I wanted a relatively "clean slate" to start with before I start putting things back together. The bare shot is after about 35 smaller holes were patched.

Attached Files:

11. jackalope

jackalope

I made a little more progress but haven't taken many pics and I also got to spend a few days in Vegas for SEMA (gloat)
    I will try to take a few more this weekend. Here are some weld in bungs I machines for the split bones. Could've bought them and saved some time but where's the fun in that.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stogy, AHotRod and slv63 like this.
  12. jackalope

jackalope

Baby steps. Got around to piecing some parts together. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I will be filling in the holes on that dash panel. Just sitting there for a poser shot

shadetreerodder and AHotRod like this.
  13. jackalope

jackalope

So I had a chance to play at the shop the last couple of days. It's slow going but still forging forward.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. brady1929

brady1929

15. following along..............great progress so far!

16. jkski

jkski

Got to see the end game on this build, man you started on something many people would walk away from and I mean fast.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that's coming together!

18. jackalope

jackalope

It is slowly getting there. It was a real PITA to try and find a starting point. Basically, the bottom of both large panels were so trashed and wasted that there was no way to know where to cut. I didn't have a reference point in which to put the new patches.After a LOT of head scratching and back and forth between the mock up and the weld table, I figured out the correct starting point and started cutting. The other problem is that the patch panels were nowhere near a perfect match. A lot of hammer and dolly work to get them to line up. They actually look better in person. The pics give off a glare that makes the lines look off. They actually are real close.
    Had to also make a few tools that were contoured to the beads in the panels.
    One thing that did make for some fun was using a planishing hammer I built this past year. It worked like a champ and was fun. I hope to jump on the driver side tomorrow morning after my son's soccer game.

Tim likes this.
  19. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Nice workmanship!...would like to see a photo of your planishing hammer!

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Funny you say that. Last night I said "I know you eat an elephant one bite at a time, but dang where do you take the first bite?!"

ravedodger likes this.
  21. jackalope

jackalope

[​IMG]
    Here is a pic of the planishing hammer. It's an old pic. It is mounted on the E Wheel but comes off and is easily hand held.

22. boutlaw

boutlaw

Wow Jack, awesome work and progress...I thought my 31 was bad when I started, but you got me beat for sure....
    Inspires me to go pick up the other 30 coupe available.....its pretty bad......Subscribed

23. jackalope

jackalope

.....or you can just give me the whereabouts of the 31
    Thanks though for the kind words.

24. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Great job, did you make the rear corner, or was it a repo you reworked ? I'm trying to rebuild mine now and the repo's I got were way off, couldn't use them. If they are repo's where did you get them? Wish I had your skills Thanks

25. jackalope

jackalope

Dino, they are repos. The quality of the stamping was poor to put it mildly and the dimensions were quite off. Even side by side the d side and p side were off. Everything I ordered need to be tweaked. I have the d side patched in but have to widen it an 1/8" to match the panel's lines. It's that much off.
    I can honestly say it took me much longer mocking everything up so I could cut it than the actual welding and hammering. My panels were twisted and mangled so that complicated matters even more.
    As for the maker, I forget but the lower quarter patches were from Howells and they were considerably closer to matching body lines. The bead at the wheelwell needed some manipulation on both sides before it all lined up and matched.

26. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks, sounds like the ones I got too. Appreciate the info, I think they all come from the same place just sold through different suppliers. I got mine from Brattons. Their quarter panels are nice though.

27. jackalope

jackalope

Had some time to get on with the Driver's side. This panel had a lot of warping. Of course all the patch panels were off and needed work too.
    Rear top is just sitting up there. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

28. jackalope

jackalope

You can see how far off the lower rear is off. I had to add 3/16" piece to make it the same width as the actual body panel.

Dino64 likes this.
  29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Insane save. Gary

30. ty johnson

ty johnson

Looks GREAT Grant!