Register now to get rid of these ads!

buick trans info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mbates, Sep 6, 2011.

1. mbates

mbates
    from illinios

can anyone tell me bout early buick three speeds with overdrive would like to find one for my 1940 buick coupe if any were available, the rear end is a 411 n trans is low ratio also top out at 55 at 3300rpm help!!!!!!

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I never say never, but in my 60 years of messing with cars, I never saw a Buick 3 speed with overdrive!
    Dave

3. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Your best bet is going to be changing the rear axle ratio, I think. Like Dirty old man, I've never heard of or seen one with O/D, but stranger things have happened

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

I don't remember ever seeing an overdrive in any GM car with an enclosed drive line. The information I have lists the axle ratio as 4.41 to 1, and few mechanical options were available on any car built in 1940.
    If you plan to cruise the Interstate at 70, more modern drive line bits may be in your future.

5. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

Check out the Buick Club of America web site. It may be possible to put a later ring and pinion with better highway gears in your original rear end.

Good luck!

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You can use the third member from anything through '55 models and I belive the lowest numerical available is 3.36.

It seems to me there was a thread here on the HAMB on this very subject in recent weeks with pictures and details.

Ray

7. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

i dont know much about early buicks.
    but its still a gm car,
    maybe you can find a kit to adapt a borg t5 to it...it has a built in OD in 5th gear.

8. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The issue here is the torque tube driveline and coil spring rear suspension that makes swapping a transmission a much bigger deal than vehicles with an open driveline in the first place.

Yes, a T5 or other suitable trans can be adapted to the straight 8, I am doing one now (an Aisin AX15 5 speed).......but that requires lots more work and fabrication.

The OP apparently is looking for lower RPMs at highway cruise with minimal re-engineering of his car, hence the recommendations for a ring/pinion ratio change since no overdrive transmission exists that will merely bolt in.

Ray

10. csimonds

csimonds

11. mbates

mbates
    from illinios

thanks for your inputs what a great way to share info!! very happy bout honkey ass board!!