Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Nailhead/Road Draft Tube question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellbilly_Buzzard, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Hellbilly_Buzzard

Hellbilly_Buzzard

A bit of background to start

I have a stock 1961 364 Buick nailhead. I purchased a Weiand 3 deuce intake and will run 3 Stromberg 97s. The Strombergs will be on 1” risers since the throttle linkage and choke assembly on the carbs hits the intake. The middle riser will have a vacuum port. I am running stock valve covers and have a breather in each.

Well, the intake also hits the road draft tube...

It appears I will need about a 1.5” intake riser to clear the road draft tube. Not looking to spend another $200 bucks (on top of the obscene amount I paid for the Weiand) for intake risers unless I have too (the cost of having something cool). Can I take the cheaper option of $40 bucks or so and just replace the valley pan with one that does not have the road draft tube (is this just stupid) or should best to spring for the risers (and take the hp/tq hit) and run the road draft tube? Any other recommendations?

Please advise…

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I have head that risers will kill some of the nailheads HP so only do that as a last resort or if you just like the looks of the raised manifold. SInce you have breathers on the valve covers then replace one of the breathers with a PCV valve. Plumb the PCV valve into the vacuum port under the middle carb. PCV system is much better than a draft tube for keeping the moisture out of the oil. Moisture in oil causes sludge along with causing acid to form in the oil which will attack crank bearing material.

Be sure to properly baffle the valve cover where the PCV valve is.